Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Cheezz, this is the method used by Theo's Chocolates for their caramels. My
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30573 at 2:17 pm on Nov 1, 2018
caramels have been perfect ever since I used their method and recipe.
Look at Step 4 of the linked cider recipe. It explains the melting step. For the flan i split the sugar into 1/3 cup increments, used a non-stick pan, and silicon spoon.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30573. Two questions I'm just going to suck up my shame and ask: - MarilynFL - 2:07pm on 10/28/18 (16)
- Marilyn, I don't have an answer for either question, however, I watched Jacques Pepin [LINK] - GayR - 3:43pm on 10/28/18
- ammonium carbonate - Richard in Cincy - 3:44pm on 10/28/18
- how about a light dusting of powdered sugar on the plate before you flip the flan onto it? [NT] - pmassell_93 - 4:34pm on 10/28/18
- Or butter? Or oil? [NT] - CathyZKauai - 5:43pm on 10/28/18
- Or even slicking the plate with a little water--or the top of the flan? (nt) [NT] - mistral - 11:38pm on 10/28/18
- ha! I read this as *licking the plate...* [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:08pm on 11/04/18
- :-D [NT] - LisainLA - 3:49pm on 11/04/18
- You can always lick the plate, but do it AFTER the cake is gone!! :-)..... (nt) [NT] - mistral - 7:12pm on 11/04/18
- Could you warm the bottom of the vessel, your ramekin, in warm water for 5-10 min to loosen the - Marg CDN2 - 10:02pm on 10/28/18
- My answer to these things are don’t fight it- make individual servings instead [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 4:56am on 10/29/18
- Success with Q#1: Curse of the Sticking Flan. I used Cathy's idea to wipe - MarilynFL - 1:33pm on 10/29/18
- The flan just did not want to escape from the plate--suction city like and octopus. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:56pm on 10/29/18
- Is there a link to that sugar melting technique? I'd like to read more about it [NT] - cheezz - 6:02pm on 10/31/18
- Cheezz, this is the method used by Theo's Chocolates for their caramels. My [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:17pm on 11/01/18
- Love this method! Will have to try it soon [NT] - cheezz - 6:28pm on 11/05/18
- Note: I tried this ONCE in a regular stainless steel pan. Didn't work nearly as well. Never again. - MarilynFL - 2:59pm on 11/07/18