Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My 78-year old neighbor gently asked if I knew how to make bread pudding? To which I replied...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30587 at 2:52 am on Nov 14, 2018
OF COURSE! And immediately launched into croissant versions, brioche versions, custardy versus creamy versions, and New Orleans-style pain perdu with canned fruit cocktail (yes...true...very good, actually) with warm brandy sauce.
The poor man seemed overwhelmed by my rant. He said his mom used to make it with stale white bread. Period. Which meant stale, pre-sliced white bread which I have not bought in...holy cow...40 years.
Anyway, I'd love to make him a pan of bread pudding that will resemble what HE remembers. This means I can't use my heavy cream, extra yolks, split vanilla bean versions. I need basic. A good, old-fashioned recipe (possibly from the 50's?) that will make him smile. I donated all my older recipe books before I left Florida so I'm asking for help.
One concern I have is that modern day "white sliced bread" won't actually get stale now that they add all sorts of preservatives.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30587. My 78-year old neighbor gently asked if I knew how to make bread pudding? To which I replied... - MarilynFL - 2:52am on 11/14/18 (16)
- Marilyn, Here is one to begin with..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:23am on 11/14/18
- Marilyn, Another recipe to read..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 2:14pm on 11/14/18
- I think that is a sad reality of today's 'bread'. I bought a loaf today for 97cents to make a - Marg CDN2 - 4:31am on 11/14/18
- and I just consulted my old HEc book from the 60s and the recipe is the same but for - Marg CDN2 - 4:43am on 11/14/18
- Marilyn, will you be MY neighbor? [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:24am on 11/14/18
- What I use for French toast or bread pudding is the supermarket "Italian loaf"- - Charley - 12:00pm on 11/14/18
- I have used hot dog buns and they work great. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 6:41pm on 11/14/18
- Try King's Hawaiian for French toast (bread pudding too) for a treat!! DS has made it - Charley - 9:45pm on 11/14/18
- Why not bring yr neighbor into the 21st century w/ this one which I love? Rum Raisin Bread Pudding! [LINK] - wigs - 7:17pm on 11/14/18
- Have I mentioned lately how much I love you guys? If not, I love you guys. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:18pm on 11/14/18
- Aah, Love you right back..... [NT] - GayR - 8:28pm on 11/14/18
- This kind of old school recipe makes me think Paula deen [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 11:22pm on 11/15/18
- Holy cow! Or more appropriately, Holy Sugar Cane! 4 cups total for bread & sauce? I want - MarilynFL - 2:18pm on 11/16/18
- MDNoCA, I just now read this recipe, and it made me immediately think about how much more - wigs - 9:29pm on 11/16/18
- hmmmm Interesting point. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 9:00pm on 11/17/18