Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Brown Braised Onions
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30594 at 11:11 pm on Nov 16, 2018
This has become a favorite for holiday dinners. I can never make enough!
They can be made ahead and reheated, so carrying them to a family gathering is no problem.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Brown Braised Onions
Recipe By :Julia Child
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:30
Categories : Side Dishes Tried & True
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 Pounds Small Onions, Either White Or Yellow -- peeled
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 Sprig Fresh Parsley
6 Whole Black Peppercorns
Cut a cross in the root end of each peeled onion, about 1/8" deep. This will help keep the onions together when they are cooked.
Heat a large skillet, big enough to hold the onions in one layer, over medium-high heat, add the oil and butter. When the butter is foamy, add the onions and roll them around in the skillet to coat with the oil mixture. Brown as evenly as possible, turning or rolling the onions around in the pan. This will take 10 to 12 minutes.
Put the seasonings into a bouquet garni bag, or tie in a piece of cheesecloth. Add this sack to the skillet, along with the wine. Add salt to taste. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 40 to 50 minutes, until the onions are tender, and the liquid is reduced to a sauce.
Taste for seasoning, and add more salt or pepper if needed. Remove the bouquet garni and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 41 Calories; 3g Fat (86.7% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 28mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
NOTES : These can be made a day or two ahead, covered and refrigerated. Reheat over low heat, or in a 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
I use boiling onions for this recipe.
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30594. REC: Brown Braised Onions - judy-mass - 11:11pm on 11/16/18 (4)
- Question: Do you trim the roots/root end OFF or do you just trim them short?--Thanks! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 8:26pm on 11/17/18
- I trim off the root hairs and - judy-mass - 9:03pm on 11/17/18
- Yum. I love baked onions and have not tried this method. Will definitely give it a spin! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:30pm on 11/18/18
- Let me know what you think of them. [NT] - judy-mass - 2:31pm on 11/18/18