Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I have made and stored pie dough in the fridge for 2 days B4 rolling out and using, but BH&G says U
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #30595 at 2:42 pm on Nov 17, 2018
can do it 3 days ahead==>
BH&G comments: You can also refrigerate unbaked pie dough or unbaked pie crust for up to 3 days. Keep tightly covered with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
PS from Wigs: I also put my dough into a plastic Zip-Lock bag to store in addition to wrapping it in plastic wrap first before storing in either the fridge or in the freezer.
Monita is a Recipe Tester for Food52 who says
You can keep well-wrapped pie dough in the fridge if you plan on using it within 24 hours. Otherwise, I'd put it straight in the freezer
Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater says
I will second the 24 hour rule. It also depends on how cold your refrigerator is and if there's butter in your dough. a pie dough made exclusively with vegetable shortening is not quite as sensitive to oxidizing as one made with only butter. Also the disc of dough should be as flat as possible. If you're needing to thaw it before rolling, thaw it slowly in fridge rather than at room temp.
Rose Levy Beranbaum says two days stored in the refrigerator (frozen up to three months). I've gone longer in the refrigerator but at some point mold will appear in as dark spots distributed throughout the dough. Ick. Moist flour creates ideal conditions for mold.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30595. How early can I make pie dough Without freezing? - MariaDNoCA - 7:36am on 11/17/18 (5)
- Maria, the only dough that changed in the refrigerator (versus freezer) had - MarilynFL - 12:55pm on 11/17/18
- So helpful Marilyn - thanks! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 1:22pm on 11/17/18
- The one time I had some stored pie dough take on a grey-ish hue is when I'd used UN-bleached flour - wigs - 2:59pm on 11/17/18
- I have made and stored pie dough in the fridge for 2 days B4 rolling out and using, but BH&G says U - wigs - 2:42pm on 11/17/18
- Thanks all, ok Monday or Tuesday it is! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 8:28pm on 11/17/18