Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
I haven't seen or tried them, And a trip to Aldi's for Holiday Baking Supplies...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30606 at 1:49 pm on Nov 20, 2018
I have been saying for several years that Nestle has altered the toll house chocolate morsels. They just do not taste the same to me as they used to. I don't get that incredibly rich chocolately taste when I bite into a Toll House cookie.
Or maybe my pallate has matured? Is jaded? Is eroding?
I actually wrote to them about it and asked if they had changed the formula. They insisted they had not and that it was the same as it has always been.
Speaking of chocolate, I was at Aldi's last week and went into a frenzy:
14 lbs. of butter (at $1.99/lb.), 5 lbs of 60% cacao chocolate chips (that taste the way I remember Toll House used to taste--I really think they reduced their caco%), flour, sugar, brown, sugar, confectioners sugar, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamias, etc.etc. My holiday baking kitchen is now stocked and I'm ready to start knocking out the cookies, stollen, Lebkucken, and all the other goodies. The prices are amazing (the sugars were $0.95/bag). I had my cart filled to the brim, including 14 lbs. of butter, and the total was $90. That would have easily been a $190 trip at Kroger.
They also had all sorts of wonderful Christmas candies for stocking stuffers. Pretty foil-wrapped hollow chocolates of nutcrackers, santa, snowmen, oranments, and bells. Gummi bears (large pack $0.95). I purchased a selection of these to fill the grandkid's christmas cones.
They also had piles of Lebkucken, Stollen, and other German holiday goodies, but I passed on all of these since I make my own (better). I did buy a bag of Spekulatius since I normally don't make those since they are so tedious to make. They're nice, but the spice is so mild. They are great for afternoon tea however, nice crisp caramel biscuit.
I hadn't been shopping at Aldi because the one that was near me was such a dump and the other's were so far away from me. The "dump" closed and they underwent a big remodel and just reopened. The difference is like opening the door at Dorothy's house after she landed in Oz. I will definitely make this my first stop shopping now.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30606. Anyone tried these yet: Nestles *Simply Delicious Dark Chocolate Morsels*? Chips made with only 3 [LINK] - MarilynFL - 8:05pm on 11/19/18 (8)
- I haven't seen or tried them, And a trip to Aldi's for Holiday Baking Supplies... - Richard in Cincy - 1:49pm on 11/20/18
- I had serious problems using their baking products (flour, sugar and mixes) - MarilynFL - 9:51pm on 11/20/18
- Interesting. I will do some tests early before I ruin - Richard in Cincy - 10:08pm on 11/20/18
- I looked over what I bought and it seems fine. - Richard in Cincy - 2:23am on 11/21/18
- oh, that's excellent news. I have not bothered with any baking pantry items since 2008, so I'm glad - MarilynFL - 12:44pm on 11/21/18
- Sorry about your experience. I am DEvoted to Aldi's and have no problem. Have only - Charley - 12:40pm on 11/21/18
- Back in 2008, I even had problems with their cookies (trying to use them on GBH). Good to know this. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:45pm on 11/21/18
- They have renovated their stores and carry a larger inventory of things. Lidl has moved into - Charley - 12:58pm on 11/21/18