Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I had serious problems using their baking products (flour, sugar and mixes)
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30606 at 9:51 pm on Nov 20, 2018
This was over 10 years ago, so hopefully things changed.
The sugar, once I looked carefully, said 'PURE SUGAR' but did not specify PURE CANE SUGAR. It could have been beet sugar, date sugar, who knows what sugar, etc. It was very finely ground, almost powdery...much finer than Domino or CF sugars.
Their flour reacted differently from the KA all-purpose I had been baking with for years when used in recipes I knew.
Their boxed mixes left an off-taste. I stopped even giving those products away.
And it wasn't just me. A coworker had a chocolate cake she made every year for her son's birthday. One day she stopped me in the hall and asked for baking advice, saying the cake hadn't worked out at all this year and could I figure out what she had done wrong. I asked a few questions and then she mentioned Aldi. And I asked if she bought her ingredients there? Yes to flour, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. I suggested she go back to pantry ingredients she used to buy and try it again. Cake worked perfectly once again. Made a believer out of her. She LOVED that cake.
Aldi's candy, on the other hand...is wonderful. And their produce prices were well below my local stores.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30606. Anyone tried these yet: Nestles *Simply Delicious Dark Chocolate Morsels*? Chips made with only 3 [LINK] - MarilynFL - 8:05pm on 11/19/18 (8)
- I haven't seen or tried them, And a trip to Aldi's for Holiday Baking Supplies... - Richard in Cincy - 1:49pm on 11/20/18
- I had serious problems using their baking products (flour, sugar and mixes) - MarilynFL - 9:51pm on 11/20/18
- Interesting. I will do some tests early before I ruin - Richard in Cincy - 10:08pm on 11/20/18
- I looked over what I bought and it seems fine. - Richard in Cincy - 2:23am on 11/21/18
- oh, that's excellent news. I have not bothered with any baking pantry items since 2008, so I'm glad - MarilynFL - 12:44pm on 11/21/18
- Sorry about your experience. I am DEvoted to Aldi's and have no problem. Have only - Charley - 12:40pm on 11/21/18
- Back in 2008, I even had problems with their cookies (trying to use them on GBH). Good to know this. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:45pm on 11/21/18
- They have renovated their stores and carry a larger inventory of things. Lidl has moved into - Charley - 12:58pm on 11/21/18