Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Shout out for Chick-fil-a's amazing Superfood Side (salad) w/kale
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #30611 at 4:51 pm on Nov 21, 2018
Chopped BroccoliniÂ® and kale blend, tossed in a sweet and tangy maple vinaigrette dressing and topped with flavorful dried sour cherries. Served with our roasted nut blend.
Nutritional info: 140 calories, 7 g fat, 2 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 16 g carbs, and 3 g protein,Â 80% vitamin C, and 45% vitamin A.
We finally have our first Chick-fil-a in the Detroit area. J and I love their grilled chicken sandwiches and share the large Superfood Side. I admit that it looks small but the combination of ingredients will leave you smiling ;) Colleen
These recipes are not T&T by me but I'm looking forward to trying all of them and will report back. Colleen
Copycat Maple Vinaigrette Dressing
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt ,or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper ,or to taste
Whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, cider vinegar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season dressing with salt and pepper; whisk until the dressing is well blended.
The vinaigrette can be prepared ahead and refrigerated, in an airtight container, up to 3 days.
Basic Copycat How-To
Superfood Salad Copycat Recipe Breakdown
Broccoli: I use broccoli instead of broccolini.Broccoli is far less expensive and tastes basically the same once the salad has been tossed in the dressing and allowed to sit for awhile (refrigerated). Broccolini is a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese kale and can be hard to find and more expensive. Since I’ll be making large batches of this superfood salad, broccoli is what I’ll use.
Kale:Â Bagged kale is everywhere, so this is an easy ingredient to find. I buy whichever brand is the most finely chopped, as I hate huge, stalky leaves.
Nuts:Â I use my favorite nut blend from Trader Joe’s, the T.J.’s Cranberry, Almond & Cashew Trail Mix. This blend is a bit different from Chick’s but tastes great and is our favorite.
Cherries: I added a few cherries but really prefer the cranberries (they aren’t as sweet as cherries). Since my nuts contain cranberries, I’ll skip the cherries next time.
Maple Vinaigrette-Â This is a basic maple vinagrette recipe that is easy and delicious. As with any dressing, better ingredients yield a better result, so I use good quality maple syrup, Dijon, and EVOO.
Our Best Bites Copycat Serving Size: 8
1/3 cup cider vinegar (if you can, use something murky like Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar)
1 green onion, trimmed about 1″ on top and the “hairy” root end on the bottom
1 teaspoon Creole or mild coarse grain mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
A few cracks of fresh black pepper
2/3 cup real maple syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I use our garlic olive oil)
4 cups broccoli broken into small pieces
8-10 cups (about 8 ounces) kale, massaged
6 ounces tart dry cherries or Craisins
1/3 cup salted, shelled sunflower seeds
In the jar of your blender, combine the vinegar, onion, mustard, salt, pepper, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Set aside.
In a very large bowl, combine the broccoli, kale, cherries, and sunflower seeds. Drizzle about 3/4 of the dressing onto the salad and toss to coat evenly. Add more dressing if desired. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Notes If you’d like to add a little extra flavor or protein, try crumbling a little feta or mild goat cheese right before serving.
Link: Superfood side
Other messages in this thread:
- In case anyone doesn't read the article Do not eat any romain. - orchid - 9:46pm on 11/20/18
- THanks for posting this. I have to toss out a 6 pack I just bought from Costco and clean my fridge. [NT] - LisainLA - 5:16am on 11/21/18
- Won't stores refund your costs? [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:40pm on 11/21/18
- I am sure they would, but there is no way I am going near Costco for the next week... - LisainLA - 4:16pm on 11/21/18
- I feel your pain, purchased a pack of three to use in a Caesar salad. Had to make a grocery - Curious1 - 9:30pm on 11/21/18
- REC: Shout out for Chick-fil-a's amazing Superfood Side (salad) w/kale [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 4:51pm on 11/21/18
- Thanks for this, colleen. The CFL in my area has lines wrapping around the building. And - MarilynFL - 1:04pm on 11/22/18
- I've never tried Popeye's but I've heard that the quality has improved - pmassell_93 - 5:46pm on 11/22/18
- Popeye's chicken is DEEElicious--but very different from KFC or especially ChickFil-a - Charley - 4:49pm on 11/23/18