Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
I have heeded the results of the Cook's Illustrated Vanilla Tests
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30619 at 4:00 pm on Nov 25, 2018
a couple years back where they compared real vanilla to imitation.
The imitation vanilla extract was the winner. Why? Because the natural vanilla flavor and aroma profiles bake off at temps over 275F or so.
The imitation vanila left the vanilla flavor profile in the baked good; the real stuff didn't because it evaporates in the heat.
So I use imitation vanilla in baking, real vanilla in non-baking desserts, and save my money.
Also, something I got from Sarah Moulton years ago: Baker's BLOV (Butter, Lemon, Orange, Vanilla extract). It's the secret to getting that professional bakery taste in your baked goods. I frequently use half vanilla/BLOV or all BLOV in cakes, cookies, etc. It really makes a difference. I love it in the sugar cookie bases for Spitzbuben (why, yes, I am eating one right now!).
You can get BLOV at your local cake and candy specialty store. It is also sold as "Creme Bouquet" by some producers. Same thing.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30619. I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm brave. I got a notice that Penzey's has a several day sale - Janet in NC - 3:29pm on 11/23/18 (13)
- vanilla prices are crazy the last few years! [NT] - pmassell_93 - 4:40pm on 11/23/18
- I heard, a couple of months ago, that the pickers were not making enough money at the job and have - Marg CDN2 - 4:25am on 11/30/18
- I told friends I cruise to Mexico just to pick up vanilla and Kahlua and they laughed...no more!! [NT] - cheezz - 4:11am on 12/01/18
- Olive oil too! Wonderful oil in wine country Ensenada. Who knew?! [NT] - AngAk1 - 2:36pm on 12/31/18
- Janet, I've used both and didn't think it was worth the extra cost. Same - MarilynFL - 5:35pm on 11/23/18
- Thanks Marilyn, While researching this question I came upon a Cooks Illustrated article that rated - Janet in NC - 3:42pm on 11/24/18
- I have heeded the results of the Cook's Illustrated Vanilla Tests - Richard in Cincy - 4:00pm on 11/25/18
- Clear fake vanilla is what MILK Bar bakery (Christina Tosi) uses. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:13pm on 11/26/18
- I've been using very costly vanilla bean paste for some baked goods - - deb-in-MI - 10:04pm on 11/26/18
- Wow, really?! [NT] - cheezz - 11:49pm on 11/28/18
- *clear imitation vanilla extract. Mastermind of the recipe Christina Tosi... - MarilynFL - 2:27am on 12/03/18
- Wow, my mom always used imitation vanilla, said it was better. I, of course, had to have the real - KarenNoCA - 10:11pm on 01/01/19
- Same here, Karen. The brand Cook’s Illustrated recommended is Baker's imitation vanilla flavor. [NT] - Curious1 - 12:11am on 01/02/19