Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
I make these every Christmas. I like my gingerbread cookies on the spicy side, but...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30631 at 3:29 pm on Nov 30, 2018
...you can tone these down a bit by reducing the cloves to 1 teaspoon.
BEST GINGERBREAD COOKIES
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
2 egg yolks
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 generous tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg yolks.
2. Sift the flour and then gently spoon into measuring cup to measure 4 cups. To the flour, add the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Sift these together and then blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Cover, and chill for at least one hour (see note below).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment covered cookie sheets.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 30631. ISO T&T gingerbread man cookie recipe... - MariaDNoCA - 7:22am on 11/30/18 (8)
- Don't laugh, but my sister makes them from the rolled cookie recipe on - Melissa Dallas - 2:30pm on 11/30/18
- Love Gale Gand's Recipe....... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 3:29pm on 11/30/18
- Maria, Not Tried and True yet.....going to make these this year..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 3:44pm on 11/30/18
- I make these every Christmas. I like my gingerbread cookies on the spicy side, but... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:29pm on 11/30/18
- I've made these. Thanks for the reminder, Michael. They are wonderful. Will make again. [NT] - CathyZKauai - 4:52pm on 11/30/18
- Michael, can you think of a reason I couldn't form the dough into a roll and slice then bake? - CathyZKauai - 8:10pm on 12/01/18
- I haven't done that, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work well. Once it was chilled,... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:00pm on 12/02/18
- Thanks Michael, I remember this recipe, but couldn’t recall if they were cut out cookies :-) [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:28pm on 11/30/18