Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
And I always make Pasta Fagiole with some of the ham.
Joined: Mar 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #30691 at 8:13 pm on Jan 3, 2019
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped carrot
3 tablespoons chopped celery
1 cup ham, diced (or a ham bone with some meat on it)
2/3 cup canned tomatoes, with juice
1 can cannelini beans, drained
3 cups beef broth
4 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Saute onion in a stockpot with the oil over medium heat until pale gold.
Add the carrot, celery and ham. If using a ham bone, cut meat off and add both the meat and bone to the pot. One half of a ham steak works very well also as an alternative. Saute ham and vegetables for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Add the chopped tomatoes and their juice, turn the heat down to medium low, and cook for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the elbow macaroni in boiling water according to package directions. Do not overcook. Set aside.
Add the drained beans to the ham mixture. Let the beans cook in the tomatoes for 5 minutes, stirring thoroughly, then add the broth and bring to a moderate boil. Add the cooked pasta to the soup. You may not need to use all of the pasta. Just add pasta until it looks like enough. Reduce heat to low, and allow to stand for a few minutes to blend everything together. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Note: This soup can be prepared ahead up to the point where the pasta is added. When ready to serve, heat the soup and add the pasta and cheese.
It can also be frozen. You may need to add a little broth or water if it thickens too much.
Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com
Other messages in this thread:
- 30691. My Mom used to make "Ham and Noodles" whenever we had leftover ham. Basic comfort food. - Michael in Phoenix - 4:24pm on 01/03/19 (7)
- Rifting on Mom Ham Dishes: I made her *Ham Bone, Beans & Sauerkraut* while home. - MarilynFL - 5:51pm on 01/03/19
- Yum! But do share the secret to curtsy bread :) [NT] - AngAk1 - 4:06pm on 01/28/19
- Here's another one for leftover ham. - rhoward2va - 8:10pm on 01/03/19
- And I always make Pasta Fagiole with some of the ham. - rhoward2va - 8:13pm on 01/03/19
- Dang that sounds good! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 7:06pm on 01/04/19
- Is your mother German? That is sehr Deutsch: "Schinkennudeln" (ham noodles) - Richard in Cincy - 10:59pm on 01/05/19
- She was. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:04pm on 01/06/19