Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I was wrong saying the granules are larger. They are, in fact, smaller but weigh less (see photo).
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30711 at 12:40 am on Jan 18, 2019
Picked up Diamond salt a year ago while in Pittsburgh as I've never seen it in my stores. I was interested after Traca mentioned that most restaurants used "the red box."
And because I am the geek that I am, I weighed out the salts since I don't have the S/F/A/H book to view her comparison chart.
Clockwise, starting in upper left: 1 TBL each
Diamond Kosher: 8 grams
Morton Kosher: 16 grams
Sea salt (fine): 22 grams
Morton Iodized table salt: 20 grams
The issue: Say you were following a recipe originally developed with Diamond Kosher salt that called for 1 TBL -- you would get far more saltiness if you simply measured 1 TBL of any other salt variant.
But if the recipe specified weight, you should get the same result.
LONG LIVE RECIPE WEIGHTS!
PS: The Diamond box says 1/4 tsp = 0.7 grams so their TBL would be 8.4 grams. Obviously their equipment is more accurate than my kitchen scale.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30711. Watched first episode (Fat) of Salt/Fat/Acid/Heat on Netflix. Has anyone used the salt brine - MarilynFL - 6:55pm on 01/16/19 (12)
- Here's the full recipe [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:56pm on 01/16/19
- Just looked at this recipe and the salt in the bread. . . - mistral - 11:37pm on 01/16/19
- mistral, the recipe specifies DIAMOND kosher, a larger granule than Morton kosher salt. - MarilynFL - 2:19am on 01/17/19
- Difference in morton's and Diamond - Charley - 11:19am on 01/17/19
- My bad--that blew by me. I guess In need to pay more attention to weight! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 9:42pm on 01/17/19
- I was wrong saying the granules are larger. They are, in fact, smaller but weigh less (see photo). [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:40am on 01/18/19
- I was aghast at how much salt she flung in that show. - Richard in Cincy - 4:44am on 01/18/19
- oh, I know. I am desperate for those beef short ribs (SALT), except... - MarilynFL - 2:42pm on 01/18/19
- The whole Salt episode changed my ways - CathyZKauai - 3:19pm on 01/19/19
- I changed to Diamond Crystal several years ago and love it. Much less chance of over salting - Curious1 - 12:59am on 01/21/19
- I have both Diamond and Morton's but do like the big flakes of Morton's for - Charley - 12:08pm on 01/21/19
- The reviews of Ina's recipes at Food Network often complain about saltiness. Recently - Curious1 - 5:18pm on 01/22/19