Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Venison Sausage with Cumberland Sauce
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #3811 at 5:06 pm on Oct 3, 2006
this was posted by Mark in Houston on the old swap.
REC: Venison Sausage with Cumberland Sauce...This recipe is from Bruce
1 & 1/2 lb venison shoulder
1 lb pork butt
3/4 lb pork back fat
1/2 lb slab bacon, rind removed
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced shallots
2 tsp minced juniper berries
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh rosemary
2 T brandy
3 T dry red wine
Cut the meat, fat, and bacon into 2" strips. In a large bowl, mix the meat, fat, and bacon
with all the ingredients except the casings. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, grind the mixture through a 1/4" plate. Add any juices remaining in the bowl. Knead to blend all the ingredients thoroughly. Stuff into casings and in 6" links. Dry the sausage, uncovered, in the refrigeratir overnight before grilling or panfrying.
Serve with Cumberland Sauce.
zest from two oranges, cut in strips
zest from two lemons, cut in strips
Juice from same two oranges and two lemons
10-oz jar red currant jelly
1 cup port
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dry mustard
Parboil rinds in water 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside. Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the liquid is syrupy. Add the rinds and cook 1-2 minutes more. Serve hot.
"Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." -Franklin P. Jones
Other messages in this thread:
- 3811. REC: Venison Sausage with Cumberland Sauce - Randi - 5:06pm on 10/03/06 (7)
- REC: Hunter's Sausage - Randi - 5:07pm on 10/03/06
- REC: Terrine de Chagny Lameloise/ Chicken Liver and Sausage Pate - Randi - 5:09pm on 10/03/06
- hereyago Cathy :-) any ideas on what to substitute for the venison? maybe ground - Randi - 5:14pm on 10/03/06
- Thanks so much, Randi- what interesting recipes (more) - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:28pm on 10/03/06
- you're very welcome. we do get buffalo here a few times a year. I'll ask the butcher - Randi - 5:42pm on 10/03/06
- What a nice thing to offer! Thanks, Randi- maybe it will happen some day [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:20pm on 10/04/06
- awww, it's just part of my "cook for a chef" crusade. and who knows, maybe it will :-) [NT] - Randi - 11:57pm on 10/04/06