Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's another soup version. REC: Radish Top Soup
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #4681 at 2:12 am on Nov 26, 2006
I love how the BA recipe Joe linked to states to reserve the radishes themselves for another use!
The modifications from the person who submitted the recipe below are included.
"I found a recipe in "The Victory Garden Cookbook" 1982 edition, for Radish Top Soup. I didn't have enough radish tops, and had to substitute some Swiss chard for about 1/3 of the greens, and make about 1/3 of the recipe, but it was so delicious, I decided to send it in.. I cooked the potato in chicken broth, cooked the onion and greens in a little canola oil and eliminated the butter and optional cream. Here is the recipe with the author's comments:"
Radish Top Soup
"Don't throw out your radish greens. Believe it or not, those fuzzy leaves can be transformed into a smooth green soup, with a hint of watercress flavor."
6 Tb butter
1 cup chopped onions or leeks
8 cups loosely packed radish leaves
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
6 cups liquid (water, chicken stock)
1/2 cup cream (optional)
Freshly ground pepper
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan, add onions or leeks, and cook until golden, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in radish tops, cover pan, and cook over low heat until wilted, 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook potatoes until soft in liquid along with 1 teaspoon salt. Combine with radish tops and broth, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes to mingle flavors. Puree finely in a food processor. Add cream if desired. Season to taste with butter, salt and pepper.
Submitted by Jean Pinard
Link: Radish Recipes
Other messages in this thread:
- 4681. Radish tops, I may be going too far here, but just came home from the organic farm with gorgeous - Curious1 - 8:16pm on 11/25/06 (7)
- Though I've never used them myself, I read a rather interesting article, a while back, [LINK] - RuthAB - 8:50pm on 11/25/06
- Curious, here's one from BA: Grandmother's Radish Leaf Soup [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 9:05pm on 11/25/06
- I love this place! Thanks Joe and Ruth, I see Radish Leaf Soup for lunch soon. I'll report on it. [NT] - Curious1 - 10:05pm on 11/25/06
- Here's another soup version. REC: Radish Top Soup [LINK] - RuthAB - 2:12am on 11/26/06
- Check this out: REC: Easy, Elegant Watercress and Radish-Top Soup [LINK] - Meryl - 3:19am on 11/26/06
- Another to check out: REC: Pumpkin Seed Chicken Mole [LINK] - Meryl - 3:22am on 11/26/06
- Another, one that look's interesting... REC: Roasted Three Peppers and Greens [LINK] - RuthAB - 3:48am on 11/26/06