Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Orange Squash, and Ginger Soup. This is a very delicate, elegant and fine soup. I find the
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #5193 at 3:09 pm on Jan 5, 2007
flavours to be unusual but the proportions are important. Probably the one recipe that I wouldn't just 'wing'. Just lovely.
Orange Squash, and Ginger Soup By: Lucy Waverman Serves 4 to 6
This is a Japanese-inspired version of squash soup. The inclusion of miso and sake give it a rich taste without using cream, and cooking it with orange juice brings out the sweetness of the squash. The wasabi cream offsets the sweetness, but it can be omitted.
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) onion, chopped
4 cups (1 L) peeled and diced butternut squash
2 cups (500 mL) peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh orange juice
1/4 cup (50 mL) sake
2 tbsp (25 mL) light miso
5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped pickled ginger
1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi powder
1 tsp (5 mL) water
2 tbsp (25 mL) whipping cream
1. Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and potatoes and sauté 1 minute longer.
2. Whisk together orange juice, sake and miso. Add to vegetables along with stock. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
3. Add pickled ginger and orange rind and puree in a food processor or blender. Return to pot, season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine wasabi powder and water and stir to dissolve. Add whipping cream and stir until combined. Drizzle surface of each bowl of soup with about 1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi cream.
Other messages in this thread:
- 5193. REC: Orange Squash, and Ginger Soup. This is a very delicate, elegant and fine soup. I find the - Marg CDN - 3:09pm on 01/05/07 (6)
- Marg, this sounds divine. I'm stopping by the store on the way - Richard in Cincy - 7:18pm on 01/05/07
- This was quite tasty. The Wasabi Cream is a very nice touch. Thanks! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:33am on 01/06/07
- Oh no, what happened? You sound so underenthused. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:27pm on 01/06/07
- Oh quite the contrary. - Richard in Cincy - 6:22pm on 01/06/07
- Oh, I feel better. I try to recommend only what are, to me, the superlative concoctions. I was - Marg CDN - 7:17pm on 01/06/07
- Marg, check out the menu I posted in T&T - Richard in Cincy - 10:53pm on 01/07/07