Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Sandi in Hawaii||
I looove these brownies! REC: On the Fence Brownies
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #6300 at 4:19 pm on Apr 7, 2007
I love these! I used the Pernigotti cocoa from Williams-Sonoma, and omitted the chocolate chips and nuts.
When they came out of the oven, I put the pan into a sinkful of cold water, hoping to make the brownies chewier. Plus, it cooled it off faster, so I could get nice, clean slices when I cut it.
Son's first reaction was "ooh, these are fluffy!"
Now, "fluffy" is not a texture I normally look for in a brownie, but he was right. I think the baking powder led the brownies to rise more than usual. And yet, the brownie was extremely chocolately, and somehow fudgy, while still being "fluffy". (I guess that's the "cakey" part of it.)
These are not a super fudgy brownie, like the Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies. To me, those fudgy ones are more of a "special occasion" kinda brownie - these are more of an everyday brownie. The kind that you could easily eat one piece, then just a sliver of another, then......
(In the directions, it says to heat the butter and sugar to 110-120º. My thermometer MUST be off, cause mine went to 170º without bubbling!) I just stopped when it looked like the sugar was melted.)
from King Arthur Flour
"Fudgy, cakey, fudgy, cakey... can't make up your mind? These brownies combine the best of both worlds: the fudge brownie's ultra-moist texture, and the nice rise of a cake brownie."
1 cup (8 oz)unsalted butter
2 1/4 (15 3/4 oz)cups sugar
1 1/4 cups (3 3/4 oz)Dutch-process cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup chocolate chips (6 ounces)
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
2. Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth; then add the flour, chips, espresso powder, and nuts, again stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
3. Bake the brownies in a preheated 350°F oven for 28 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the center (barely). Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving. Yield: Two dozen 2-inch brownies.
Other messages in this thread:
- 6300. I looove these brownies! REC: On the Fence Brownies - Sandi in Hawaii - 4:19pm on 04/07/07 (11)
- Thanks, Sandi! I've heard a lot of great things about these brownies. How do they compare to the - Meryl - 4:42pm on 04/07/07
- I haven't made those in a while, so I gotta do a side-by-side....I - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:46pm on 04/07/07
- Do it! Do it! (says the chocolate enabler) :) [NT] - Meryl - 5:51pm on 04/07/07
- I'll be glad to help you taste test :) [NT] - cheezz - 8:20pm on 04/07/07
- Okay, you enablers - here's the side-by-side pics>>>> [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 8:30pm on 04/08/07
- Thanks for the taste test and reviews, Sandi! I notice the On The Fence Brownies have the addition - Meryl - 8:43pm on 04/08/07
- Hi Meryl - I didn't even add the chocolate chips, don't care for them in brownies>>> - Sandi in Hawaii - 11:51pm on 04/08/07
- Hey Sandi, thanks again. I'm definitely going to try these, minus the chocolate chips also... - Meryl - 12:11am on 04/09/07
- I love the Pernigotti. I'm down to the bottom of my tin. DH goes to Seattle in 2 weeks. - AngAk - 1:51pm on 04/09/07
- Is Pernigotti sold only at Wm Sonoma? [NT] - AngAk - 1:54pm on 04/09/07
- Not sure Ang, that's where I get mine from. Love it! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 3:32am on 04/10/07