Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Cucumber Disks with Chili Shrimp
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #6330 at 6:49 pm on Apr 10, 2007
This is one of my favorites, and it's fat free! They disappear like you would not believe, so tasty...
CUCUMBER DISKS WITH CHILI SHRIMP
3 large hothouse cucumbers
20 medium cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
Trim away root end of scallions. Cut scallions into 1-inch lengths, then slice lengthwise into long, thin shreds. Place in bowl of ice water to curl, about 10 minutes. Dry on paper towels.
Using a zester, remove zest from lemon and lime in long, fine strips.
Slice cucumber into rounds 1/2-inch thick. Trim to make uniform rounds using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter. This also will remove peel. (or you can peel decorative strips of the peel lengthwise down the cucumber and slice - a time saver and still looks lovely)
Place cucumber rounds on a serving platter. Top each with a shrimp, then drizzle with chili sauce and garnish with scallion curls and lemon and lime strips.
Note: Prepare scallion curls and zest strips, and peel and devein shrimp 1 hour ahead. Keep these ingredients covered and refrigerated. Assemble dish just before serving.
(Heather's note - if the chili sauce is too spicy for you (which it is for me), dilute with 2-3 Tbl of rice wine vinegar and add a dash or soy or fish sauce to enhance the flavor.)
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 6330. ISO: Recipes for Healthy Party Food - Traca - 5:41am on 04/10/07 (34)
- Red Pepper Dip and Veggies - Sylvia - 11:05am on 04/10/07
- Olga's Bulgarian Eggplant with Crudities would also fit your bill. [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 11:08am on 04/10/07
- Parm, or any shredded cheese crisps would be good to have around for dipping - AngAk - 7:26pm on 04/10/07
- Hummus and Crudities - Sylvia - 11:11am on 04/10/07
- Thai Crab Salad Phyllo Cups - Sylvia - 11:16am on 04/10/07
- Shrimp Ring and Cocktain Sauce - Sylvia - 11:18am on 04/10/07
- Mandarin Chicken Bites - Sylvia - 11:21am on 04/10/07
- Oh Sylvia! these sound amazingly delectable! I'm saving this for my cocktail party idea file! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 11:26pm on 04/10/07
- CathyZ's Caponata is awesome and healthy, makes a lot [NT] - MoNJ - 1:00pm on 04/10/07
- This is good tossed with spaghetti squash, Traca- you can avoid pasta that way. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:25am on 04/11/07
- Thai Salad Rolls - they're made with rice paper wraps/vermicelli, & good for you! :) [NT] - michelle - 1:10pm on 04/10/07
- marinated chicken skewers with greek or asian flavors. grilled vegetables. sushi. [NT] - wildwoods - 4:43pm on 04/10/07
- Good idea - here's one to check out - Chicken Souvlaki With Tzatziki Sauce [NT] [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 10:32pm on 04/10/07
- Stupid question. I can do these in the oven, right? [NT] - Traca - 11:57am on 04/12/07
- Yeah, you can do them under the broiler, turning them every 3-5 min. (a few reviewers broiled them). [NT] - Meryl - 3:01pm on 04/12/07
- The old Joy of Cooking mushroom caps baked with an oyster, dot of mayo & horseradish. [NT] - Marg CDN - 6:02pm on 04/10/07
- Ohhhh, why haven't I heard of this before?!?!?!?!? [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 7:54pm on 04/10/07
- Oh you were probably off gallavanting. REC: Oyster-Stuffed Mushrooms - Marg CDN - 9:06pm on 04/10/07
- Oh, I'm sure you are right - Richard in Cincy - 1:25am on 04/11/07
- REC: Chickpea and Green Bean Salad from Josephine Araldo. - Joe - 6:34pm on 04/10/07
- Well, doesn't THAT look good....I'm printing this out, Joe. It will get tried soon. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:38pm on 04/10/07
- I hope you do--it's a very special flavor combination. Here's another I make often [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 2:29am on 04/11/07
- REC: Cucumber Disks with Chili Shrimp - Heather_in_SF - 6:49pm on 04/10/07
- Beautiful spring aspagagus spears--roasted or raw with dip. - AngAk - 7:27pm on 04/10/07
- that's asparagus. More coffee, please. [NT] - AngAk - 7:28pm on 04/10/07
- This is fantastic: Citrus Green Bean Salad... - Meryl - 10:37pm on 04/10/07
- Another great salad: Carrot, Orange and Radish Salad... - Meryl - 10:39pm on 04/10/07
- WOW! This is such a great list! Thanks everyone. I'm much more confident now! [NT] - Traca - 11:22am on 04/12/07
- rec; barley casserole - Dawn_MO - 2:03pm on 04/14/07
- rec; BEAN SALAD IN CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE - Dawn_MO - 2:07pm on 04/14/07
- mmm. Going to try this one tomorrow with pulled pork. Thanks Dawn. [NT] - Marg CDN - 2:28pm on 04/14/07
- rec; Elegant Wild Rice Salad - Dawn_MO - 2:12pm on 04/14/07