Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Barley, Salmon Salad with Mango Salsa
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #6576 at 11:54 pm on May 9, 2007
I never would have thought mango/tomato combonation....surprise!
Barley, Salmon Salad with Mango Salsa
1 cup barley (I used the plump, soup barley)
3 cups water (I used home made chicken stock)
Freshly ground black pepper
4 scallions, sliced
1 to 2 hot cherry peppers, finely chopped (I used Peppadews)
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP. apple cider vinegar
4 TBSP. EVOO
1 large mango
20 grape tomatoes, quartered
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp chili powder, or to taste
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 lb. cooked salmon, cut into chunks
1. Rinse barley and drain. Bring 3 cups water to boil, salt the water, stir in barley, lower heat, cover pan and cook gently for 45 min or until tender. Drain and cool to room temp.
2. Transfer cooled barley to serving bowl, taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in scallions and hot peppers.
3. Put mustard and cider vinegar in a bowl, stir with whisk, add three TBSP of EVOO, whisk, stir into barley and let stand at room temp for one hour.
4. Stir together the mango chunks and tomtoes, honey, ginger, chili powder, lime zest and juice, and remaining EVOO. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. At serving time taste the salad, season as needed. Place a serving of barley onto plate and top with mango salsa, serve salmon along side.
Note * I seasoned the salmon with EVOO, chili powder, a little brown sugar and a sprinkle of lime juice and grilled it. Cut in into serving pieces.
Very colorful dish, and great tasting.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 6576. REC: Barley, Salmon Salad with Mango Salsa - KarenNoCA - 11:54pm on 05/09/07 (9)
- Sounds great, I've been looking for more barley recipes. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:03am on 05/10/07
- Richard, here are some more barley recipes for you. - Dawn_MO - 2:11pm on 05/10/07
- WOW!! Thanks so much!!! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:14pm on 05/10/07
- Damn Girl, those all look good, going to try the Spicy Grain Soup first, like all those textures! [NT] - Nan - 2:51am on 05/11/07
- Thanks, Dawn. I adore barley. Can't wait to try some of these! [NT] - AndreainDC - 9:12pm on 05/11/07
- WOW indeed!! What a treasure trove of barley recipes. [NT] - AngAk - 6:02pm on 05/14/07
- Barley Risotto - as a side dish... - sandra-in-australia - 1:00am on 05/12/07
- This reads great Karen. Thank you. - orchid - 5:19pm on 05/10/07
- Well, we ate it two nights for dinner (husband and I) and I had some for lunch today. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 11:51pm on 05/10/07