Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
From the party..REC: Sevillian Marinated Carrots
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #6717 at 4:25 am on May 25, 2007
I made these for a friend's b-day party. While I was standing in the kitchen, I overheard a woman say, "These are the best carrots I've ever had!" I get such a thrill hearing things like that. :)
These carrots are packed with flavor and great served as a tapas or antipasta.
Sevillian Marinated Carrots
from "The New Spanish Table" by Anya Von Bremzen
1 lb. carrots (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter), trimmed and scraped
3 to 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plush more for garnish
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon fragrant extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons best-quality red wine vinegar
1. Place the carrots in a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the carrots and let cool just enough to handle, then cut them into 1/4 inch slices.
2. While the carrots are cooking, place the garlic, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon parsley, salt, and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a mortar and, using a pestle, mash them into a medium-fine paste (I whizzed this in a Cuisinart). Whisk in the lemon juice into the garlic paste.
3. Place the carrot slices in a glass bowl while they are still warm and pour the garlic paste over them. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil and toss to mix. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate for at least 6 hours or refrigerate overnight. The carrots can be refrigerated for at least a week. Let the carrots come down to room temperature before serving, placing a serving bowl, and garnish with parsley. Serves 8-10 as a light tapa.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 6717. From the party..REC: Sevillian Marinated Carrots - Traca - 4:25am on 05/25/07 (4)
- Thanks, Traca, I'll be trying these, and I see you posted your party menu in Menus. [NT] - Joe - 3:18pm on 05/25/07
- These look so good, I'll be trying them, also. [NT] - Curious1 - 5:19pm on 05/25/07
- yay, another recipe to use my cumin seeds! [NT] - AngAk - 6:20pm on 05/25/07
- Yes, these are really good. I keep thinking they'd be fabulous - Traca - 4:19am on 05/26/07