Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Cathy, here is Evelyn's recipe from Recipezaar....
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #7800 at 6:08 pm on Sep 5, 2007
Falafel With Taratoor Sauce Recipe #72814
Falafel have got to be the tastiest little fritters ever devised by a cook - and they're good for you too! The Taratoor Sauce also makes a great dipping sauce for crudites, so don't just make it for falafel. The chickpeas do need to soak for atleast 12 hours, so take that into consideration. Otherwise, very easy.
35 min 30 min prep
500 ml dried garbanzo beans (absolutely not canned)
1 medium onion, quartered
2-3 garlic cloves
2-3 slices stale bread
50 ml parsley
1/3 sweet red pepper
10 ml salt
3 ml black pepper
10 ml cumin
10 ml oregano
10 ml ground coriander
5 ml hot red pepper flakes
20 ml flour
10 ml baking powder
50 ml water
5 ml baking powder
125 ml water
vegetable oil (for deep frying)
175 ml tahini, sesame seed paste, stir tahini before measuring
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2-2 lemons, juice of
175 ml water
5 ml salt
50 ml finely chopped parsley
Place chickpeas in a large bowl, cover generously with water and soak overnight (atleast 12 hours and up to 24).
Add onion, garlic, bread, parsley, and red sweet pepper.
Run through the fine blade of a meat grinder.
(You may process in food processor until mealy.)
Add spices, flour, 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder and water.
In a small dish mix the remaining baking powder and water.
Use it to moisten the palm of your hands and form balls of the chickpea mixture the size of walnuts, then flatten a bit (basically a slightly flattened meatball shape).
Deep fry in oil at medium high heat until golden brown.
Serve piping hot (these can be made ahead and frozen- rewarm in the oven).
Serving Suggestion: Using a 6-inch arabic pita bread, lay 4-5 falafel (this depends on how big you've made them) down the length of the pita. Turn the pita over the falafel and using the heels of your hands, smoosh down on the falafels (not so hard that you totally melt them, but hard enough to flatten them somewhat). Open the pita again and add fixins of your choice. We like slices of tomato, dill pickle and a hearty sprinkle of cilantro or parsley. Dress with sauce. Roll up as in a sandwich wrap and enjoy an extremely flavourful sandwich!
For Taratoor Sauce: In a deep bowl beat the tahini with the crushed garlic and lemon juice until creamy.
Add water bit by bit, beating well after each addition If using blender put all the ingredients in and blend.
Add salt and parsley and stir.
Add more lemon juice if needed.
The sauce should be tangy.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
This is also a great dip for crudites.
Other messages in this thread:
- 7800. Evelyn, a request for two recipes- your very favorites - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:40pm on 09/04/07 (14)
- In the mean time while you're waiting, I'd love to see your Falafel recipe please. [NT] - orchid - 5:44pm on 09/04/07
- Cathy, go to Recipezaar, write in recipe #72814 and you will find - Misplaced in AZ - 8:35pm on 09/04/07
- I don't go on Recipezaar but thanks, Misplaced [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:47pm on 09/04/07
- Cathy, here is Evelyn's recipe from Recipezaar.... - Joe - 6:08pm on 09/05/07
- And one from epi that I've tried and loved [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 6:10pm on 09/05/07
- Thank you, Joe!!!! I really appreciate both recipes. I'll try them. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:54pm on 09/05/07
- Joe, I had copied this when you first posted it. I would like to try to bake them>> - AngAk - 8:27pm on 09/05/07
- Ang, not to discourage you, but I tried baking falafels once and had horrible results. They never - Meryl - 8:31pm on 09/05/07
- Ang, I can't imagine them baked. I've always justified the frying by how healthy the original... - Joe - 9:15pm on 09/05/07
- I agree with the frying- I tried to bake once-bad results- you gotta fry them [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:00am on 09/06/07
- Cathy - I buy my pita (more) - evelyn - 8:36am on 09/10/07
- evelyn, are you still giving cooking classes? I made your Briami yesterday. Heavenly. [NT] - AngAk - 5:57pm on 09/10/07
- no, I'm not >>>> - evelyn - 8:57pm on 09/10/07
- maybe a private class??? Your Briami is a big favorite with us here. I made it with baby squash , - AngAk - 9:52pm on 09/10/07