Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Found this photo - Balzano Apple Cake and then found the recipe..>
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #8140 at 1:42 pm on Oct 3, 2007
I have read several reviews and they are all good.
The original recipe appeared in the N. Y. Times on September 22, 2004. Here it is:
Balzano Apple Cake
Time: 1-1/4 hours
1 stick butter (4 ounces), plus more for greasing pan
1/2 cup flour, plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
5 Granny Smith apples
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
Heat oven to 375 Degrees F. Line 8-inch square pan with foil, then smear with thick layer of butter. Dust with flour; turn pan over, and tap lightly to remove excess flour.
Melt butter in small saucepan. Set aside. Beat together eggs and half of sugar in a bowl. Continue to beat while slowly adding remaining sugar until thick; it should form a ribbon when dropped from a spoon.
Split vanilla bean in two lengthwise. Scrape seeds into egg-sugar batter and add pod to melted butter.
Peel, quarter and core apples, then trim ends and slice thinly.
Remove vanilla pod from butter and stir butter into sugar-egg batter. Combine 1/2 cup flour and baking powder, then stir it into batter alternately with milk. Stir in apples, coating every piece with batter. Pour batter into pan, using fingers to pat top evenly.
Bake for 25 minutes, then rotate the pan; bake for about 25 minutes more, until cake pulls away from pan and is brown on top; a thin-bladed knife inserted into the center will come out clean when it is done. Cool 30 minutes, then cut lengthwise and sprinkle slices with powdered sugar.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe of Chef Scott Carsberg of Seattle's Lampreia
Other messages in this thread:
- 8140. Found this photo - Balzano Apple Cake and then found the recipe..> [LINK] - GayR - 1:42pm on 10/03/07 (7)
- [sheeesh, I keep reading Bamboozled Apple Cake.] [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:21pm on 10/03/07
- are you dipping your apples in limoncello?? [NT] - AngAk - 7:08pm on 10/03/07
- I'll bet she ran out of apples and is now dipping her fingers. ;o) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:58pm on 10/03/07
- I do have 8 small bottles left....hey, more BARTER for the LARDER! [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:06pm on 10/03/07
- Bootlegging over state lines---yeah baby. [NT] - AngAk - 11:31pm on 10/03/07
- Mama! This looks excellent. I'll be making this soonest. Thanks! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 11:13pm on 10/03/07
- Wow! This is on my baking list for sure. [NT] - Sylvia - 3:07pm on 10/04/07