Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #97 at 5:14 pm on Dec 14, 2005
This is my very most requested candy recipe! EVERYONE loves caramels! I usually make 1 1/2 batch at once, but you have to have a LARGE heavy pan to make it in. (I use an 8 qt Magnalite Dutch oven) It bubbles up high in the pan while cooking so don't try without this) I posted this on Epi awhile back. If you want chocolate caramel, add a couple of squares of chocolate. If you want nuts, put a layer in the bottom of the pan before pouring hot caramel over.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup real butter
3/4 cup Karo syrup
2 cups light cream (I use half and half)
Butter 8' square baking pan. Combine ingredients
in heavy (must be heavy, and not light weight) large
sauce pan. Bring to boil over med high heat, stirring often.
Watch mixture, and as it begins to thicken and darken,
stir constantly, until mixture reaches 245 degrees (firm ball)
on candy thermometer.
Immediately pour into prepared pan. Cool. Cut into squares
and wrap with waxed paper. Store in tin.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Other messages in this thread:
- 97. REC: Caramel - GayleMO - 5:14pm on 12/14/05 (14)
- Gayle I so screwed this up last year...what did I do wrong? - MariaDNoCA - 5:32am on 12/15/05
- Yes, you cooked it too long. (too high of temperature) - GayleMO - 6:40am on 12/15/05
- Wanted to remind y'all that you can dip these caramels in chocolate...... - GayleMO - 7:02am on 12/15/05
- Didn't you also post the recipe for making the Scotch caramels with covering a cut marshmallow - AngAk - 9:37pm on 12/19/05
- Funny you mention this....I'm going to make some more caramel and those 'See's' knock-offs - GayleMO - 1:16am on 12/20/05
- No, Haven't tried them this year, but they are definitely on my to try list. I'm not - AngAk - 3:54am on 12/20/05
- LOL I've been making candy so long I don't know if my family will - GayleMO - 4:02am on 12/20/05
- Gayle, I've made 2 batches of caramels this year and will be (m) - Susie_MI - 9:16pm on 12/16/05
- Susie, I know what you mean! - GayleMO - 12:36am on 12/17/05
- Gayle, I buy the foil candy wrappers for the candy I give as gifts>>> - Susie_MI - 1:22am on 12/17/05
- OH, Susie! Thanks for letting me know! I nearly went in Hobby Lobby - GayleMO - 3:36am on 12/17/05
- Oh, too funny Gayle...I stopped by Michaels this morning and found candy wrappers there >>>> - Susie_MI - 5:05pm on 12/17/05
- Great! I'll check it out asap - GayleMO - 10:56pm on 12/17/05
- Susie, I found wrappers at Michael's this afternoon! :) - GayleMO - 4:10am on 12/19/05