Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Pork (or chicken) Stewed in Coconut Milk...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #9231 at 2:06 am on Dec 31, 2007
PORK (OR CHICKEN) STEWED IN COCONUT MILK
Recipe By :Mark Bittman
Serving Size : 4
2 tablespoons canola oil -- grapeseed or any other neutral oil
2 pounds boneless pork butt -- or shoulder (2 to 3)
Salt and pepper -- to taste
10 shallots -- peeled and left whole
1 small chiles -- stemmed, seeded and minced (1 to 2), or dried chiles, or to taste
1 1-inch piece ginger -- peeled and minced
2 cans coconut milk -- unsweetened, or as needed (2 to 3)
1 tablespoon fish sauce -- (Thai nam pla) or soy sauce, or to taste
1 lime -- juice of, or more to taste.
1. Put oil in a large deep skillet or casserole that can later be covered; turn heat to medium-high. Brown pork on all sides, turning as necessary, and adjusting heat so the meat browns but does not burn. This will take about 20 minutes. Season it with a little salt and pepper.
2. When the pork is just about browned, add shallots, chilies and ginger; brown a bit, then add about 2 cups coconut milk and the nam pla. Bring to boil, cover, and adjust heat for a steady simmer. Cook, turning occasionally, for at least 90 minutes, or until the pork is tender; add additional coconut milk if mixture dries out.
3. When the pork is tender, remove to a platter. Stir lime juice into sauce; taste, and adjust seasoning, adding more chili, nam pla or lime juice as necessary. Carve meat, and serve it with sauce.
Start to Finish Time:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 779 Calories; 67g Fat (75.5% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 121mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 11 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : Moyn's notes: I used a 2 3/4 lb pork shoulder roast, & about 4 shallots, 5 cloves of garlic & 2 small onions, peeled. Used whole dried chilies, which I removed before serving. I've done a similar recipe with whole milk, and trust me, it comes out completely different! Also, I only need about 1 3/4 cans of coconut milk. I added the zest of the lime, at the end, for added oomph! Served with Jasmine rice studded with scallions (sprinkled some of the green parts over the sliced meat, also) and steamed haricot verte.
The gravy was really terrific and really needed the rice!
Variations: For chicken stewed in coconut milk, use 4 chicken leg quarters in place of the pork. Brown in 4 tablespoons oil, on skin side first, then turn over. Cook for a couple of minutes more, then proceed as in Step 2, leaving lid askew so liquid reduces more quickly. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
For chicken (or pork) in milk, use half butter and half olive oil. Substitute garlic for shallots; omit chilies, ginger, nam pla and lime, but add 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or sage leaves. Substitute whole or 2 percent milk for coconut milk. Cooking times are about the same.
The Italian versions cry out for crusty bread and the Thai style for sticky rice.
Other messages in this thread:
- 9231. Thought it might be nice to post a few of Moyn's recipes/notes/posts. Care to join me? - Pat-NoCal - 12:51am on 12/31/07 (59)
- 9231. Rec: Citrus Marinade - Pat-NoCal - 3:17pm on 12/31/07 (24)
- Rec: Flourless Chocolate Cake - Pat-NoCal - 12:52am on 12/31/07
- I've made many, many times--it's a great cake. I have a funny story about it I must share. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:18am on 12/31/07
- HA! Good one :) [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: BBQ Chicken (Dawn's, with Moyn's notes) - Pat-NoCal - 12:55am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Spicy Hoisin Chicken - Pat-NoCal - 12:58am on 12/31/07
- A favorite note from Moyn...about latkes and meeting her hubby. - Pat-NoCal - 1:01am on 12/31/07
- This is my classic Moyn dish too - plus I love the story! [NT] - Music City Missy - 4:33pm on 12/31/07
- Another one that I love too! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:56pm on 12/31/07
- Recs: Moyn’s Tomato Salad, and Moyn's Killer Tomatoes - Pat-NoCal - 1:10am on 12/31/07
- I was going to post this one too - thanks! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:15pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup - Pat-NoCal - 1:12am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Cucumber Salad - Pat-NoCal - 1:14am on 12/31/07
- REC: Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie... - charlie - 1:49am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chewy Chocolate Macaroons... - charlie - 1:50am on 12/31/07
- REC: Onion Rings... - charlie - 1:52am on 12/31/07
- REC: Warm Chick-Pea Salad... - charlie - 1:53am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chicken Pate (Embassy Frosted Pate)... - charlie - 1:54am on 12/31/07
- REC: Country Style Pork Ribs... - charlie - 1:55am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Killer Tomatoes - barb_b - 1:56am on 12/31/07
- REC: Green Beans with Roasted Onions... - charlie - 1:57am on 12/31/07
- REC: Paniolo Rack of Lamb... - charlie - 1:58am on 12/31/07
- REC: Grilled Rib-Eye Steaks with Mediterranean Rub... - charlie - 1:59am on 12/31/07
- REC: Penne with Sardine Sauce... - charlie - 2:01am on 12/31/07
- REC: Catfish in Provencal Packages... - charlie - 2:02am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chicken Liver Pate with Green Peppercorns... - charlie - 2:03am on 12/31/07
- REC: Polyn-Asian Turkey... - charlie - 2:05am on 12/31/07
- REC: Pork (or chicken) Stewed in Coconut Milk... - charlie - 2:06am on 12/31/07
- REC: Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Lemon & Garlic... - charlie - 2:07am on 12/31/07
- REC: Tofu Dressing... - charlie - 2:08am on 12/31/07
- ISO Moyn's rec: Mango Chicken Chutney....Love it! Can someone help me with Gails search? [NT] - barb_b - 2:12am on 12/31/07
- Hope this is the one barb-REC: Mango Curried Chicken... - charlie - 2:39am on 12/31/07
- Thanks Charlie! Much appreciated!~ - barb_b - 3:31pm on 12/31/07
- This was one of my best sellers at the Farmer's Market...REC:. Moyn's Jewish Peniisildldn - Dawn_MO - 2:34am on 12/31/07
- I try really hard not to fix my misspellings, but this one I cannot ignore, Moyn's Jewish Penicillin [NT] - Dawn_MO - 4:15pm on 12/31/07
- Dawn... are you sure you're not dipping into the Manischewiz? heehee [NT] - cheezz - 9:11pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Hunger Killer Matambre - desertjean - 3:05am on 12/31/07
- Moyn's Citrus -Cilantro Gravlax - Sylvia - 11:09am on 12/31/07
- Pat..this is great. Sheand I were mad keen on Preserved lemons...but I can't find the post...I am... - joanietoo - 1:27pm on 12/31/07
- Preserved Lemons: - joanietoo - 1:41pm on 12/31/07
- Oh dear sheand should read ....Moyn and I [NT] - joanietoo - 1:41pm on 12/31/07
- REC: Mustard-Glazed Corned Beef Brisket - Barbara in VA - 2:14pm on 12/31/07
- corned beef [LINK] - SusanKentfieldCa - 5:11pm on 12/31/07
- Hi Susan--than a big thank you to you too! I love this recipe. I couldn't get the - Barbara in VA - 6:27pm on 12/31/07
- It took me awhile, but I found it - SusanKentfieldCa - 12:07am on 01/01/08
- Rec: Swedish Meatballs - Pat-NoCal - 3:18pm on 12/31/07
- What a lovely idea! - deb-in-MI - 3:19pm on 12/31/07
- Oops - I didn't catch that 'Cutie' has joined us on the SWAP. How wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:21pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Coconut Beef Curry - Pat-NoCal - 3:27pm on 12/31/07
- Moyn's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel - Joe - 4:39pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Moyn's Turkey Thighs - AngAk - 11:13pm on 12/31/07
- I've made this a number of times, love it. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:30pm on 12/31/07
- I tried posting under the main post, but I guess we have too many posts. [NT] - AngAk - 11:44pm on 12/31/07
- I was thinking the same, last night. Or more accurately, a separate post in the Hall of Fame. I - Marg CDN - 7:10pm on 12/31/07
- I love that story too, Marg...it's posted above in this thread...#4. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:12pm on 12/31/07
- Are there some of Moyn's recipes that we can post in the T&T section?? [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 12/31/07
- Good idea. I just added a few. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:41pm on 12/31/07