Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #9231 at 1:41 pm on Dec 31, 2007
I have these lovely little mustard jars that hold just one lemon. I sometimes make a couple of wee jars, as I do a jar full, for a small hostess gift.
Squeeze the juice of many lemons (about 5) and set aside.
Wash about 5 unblemished firm lemons well.
Cut lemons into 1/4 almost through. (I cut some into wedges and some carefully cut almost through but still keep the shape so it looks good in the jar...I do about 1 doz at a time)
Salt...I like to use Kosher salt but any salt will do.
Pour as much salt over and on the sliced lemons and arrange in well washed jars, uncut side down.
Add more salt, sprinkling through as you pack the jar.
Pour over the squeezed lemon juice. Top right up.
Seal the jars and leave on the window sill for a couple of weeks, turning every few days.
I usually refridgerate after opening but this is because it is an easier storage than a cupboard.
It is not necessary to go the whole canning way with sterilizing and sealing lids. The salt is a great preserver.
Take a piece of the lemon out of the jar, wash the fruit and pith away from the skin under running water.
Chop or slice and add to many dishes. It enhances the flavours in a very special way.
There are other recipies out that use other spices but this recipe of only salt and lemon juice is the best in OHO.
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 9231. Thought it might be nice to post a few of Moyn's recipes/notes/posts. Care to join me? - Pat-NoCal - 12:51am on 12/31/07 (59)
- 9231. Rec: Citrus Marinade - Pat-NoCal - 3:17pm on 12/31/07 (24)
- Rec: Flourless Chocolate Cake - Pat-NoCal - 12:52am on 12/31/07
- I've made many, many times--it's a great cake. I have a funny story about it I must share. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:18am on 12/31/07
- HA! Good one :) [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: BBQ Chicken (Dawn's, with Moyn's notes) - Pat-NoCal - 12:55am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Spicy Hoisin Chicken - Pat-NoCal - 12:58am on 12/31/07
- A favorite note from Moyn...about latkes and meeting her hubby. - Pat-NoCal - 1:01am on 12/31/07
- This is my classic Moyn dish too - plus I love the story! [NT] - Music City Missy - 4:33pm on 12/31/07
- Another one that I love too! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:56pm on 12/31/07
- Recs: Moyn’s Tomato Salad, and Moyn's Killer Tomatoes - Pat-NoCal - 1:10am on 12/31/07
- I was going to post this one too - thanks! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:15pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup - Pat-NoCal - 1:12am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Cucumber Salad - Pat-NoCal - 1:14am on 12/31/07
- REC: Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie... - charlie - 1:49am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chewy Chocolate Macaroons... - charlie - 1:50am on 12/31/07
- REC: Onion Rings... - charlie - 1:52am on 12/31/07
- REC: Warm Chick-Pea Salad... - charlie - 1:53am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chicken Pate (Embassy Frosted Pate)... - charlie - 1:54am on 12/31/07
- REC: Country Style Pork Ribs... - charlie - 1:55am on 12/31/07
- Rec: Killer Tomatoes - barb_b - 1:56am on 12/31/07
- REC: Green Beans with Roasted Onions... - charlie - 1:57am on 12/31/07
- REC: Paniolo Rack of Lamb... - charlie - 1:58am on 12/31/07
- REC: Grilled Rib-Eye Steaks with Mediterranean Rub... - charlie - 1:59am on 12/31/07
- REC: Penne with Sardine Sauce... - charlie - 2:01am on 12/31/07
- REC: Catfish in Provencal Packages... - charlie - 2:02am on 12/31/07
- REC: Chicken Liver Pate with Green Peppercorns... - charlie - 2:03am on 12/31/07
- REC: Polyn-Asian Turkey... - charlie - 2:05am on 12/31/07
- REC: Pork (or chicken) Stewed in Coconut Milk... - charlie - 2:06am on 12/31/07
- REC: Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Lemon & Garlic... - charlie - 2:07am on 12/31/07
- REC: Tofu Dressing... - charlie - 2:08am on 12/31/07
- ISO Moyn's rec: Mango Chicken Chutney....Love it! Can someone help me with Gails search? [NT] - barb_b - 2:12am on 12/31/07
- Hope this is the one barb-REC: Mango Curried Chicken... - charlie - 2:39am on 12/31/07
- Thanks Charlie! Much appreciated!~ - barb_b - 3:31pm on 12/31/07
- This was one of my best sellers at the Farmer's Market...REC:. Moyn's Jewish Peniisildldn - Dawn_MO - 2:34am on 12/31/07
- I try really hard not to fix my misspellings, but this one I cannot ignore, Moyn's Jewish Penicillin [NT] - Dawn_MO - 4:15pm on 12/31/07
- Dawn... are you sure you're not dipping into the Manischewiz? heehee [NT] - cheezz - 9:11pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Hunger Killer Matambre - desertjean - 3:05am on 12/31/07
- Moyn's Citrus -Cilantro Gravlax - Sylvia - 11:09am on 12/31/07
- Pat..this is great. Sheand I were mad keen on Preserved lemons...but I can't find the post...I am... - joanietoo - 1:27pm on 12/31/07
- Preserved Lemons: - joanietoo - 1:41pm on 12/31/07
- Oh dear sheand should read ....Moyn and I [NT] - joanietoo - 1:41pm on 12/31/07
- REC: Mustard-Glazed Corned Beef Brisket - Barbara in VA - 2:14pm on 12/31/07
- corned beef [LINK] - SusanKentfieldCa - 5:11pm on 12/31/07
- Hi Susan--than a big thank you to you too! I love this recipe. I couldn't get the - Barbara in VA - 6:27pm on 12/31/07
- It took me awhile, but I found it - SusanKentfieldCa - 12:07am on 01/01/08
- Rec: Swedish Meatballs - Pat-NoCal - 3:18pm on 12/31/07
- What a lovely idea! - deb-in-MI - 3:19pm on 12/31/07
- Oops - I didn't catch that 'Cutie' has joined us on the SWAP. How wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:21pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Coconut Beef Curry - Pat-NoCal - 3:27pm on 12/31/07
- Moyn's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel - Joe - 4:39pm on 12/31/07
- Rec: Moyn's Turkey Thighs - AngAk - 11:13pm on 12/31/07
- I've made this a number of times, love it. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:30pm on 12/31/07
- I tried posting under the main post, but I guess we have too many posts. [NT] - AngAk - 11:44pm on 12/31/07
- I was thinking the same, last night. Or more accurately, a separate post in the Hall of Fame. I - Marg CDN - 7:10pm on 12/31/07
- I love that story too, Marg...it's posted above in this thread...#4. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:12pm on 12/31/07
- Are there some of Moyn's recipes that we can post in the T&T section?? [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 12/31/07
- Good idea. I just added a few. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:41pm on 12/31/07