Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|sandra in new york||
All that talk of cheese above, let's do mac & cheese, here's mine...
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #9660 at 6:24 am on Feb 3, 2008
I did this one up today after taking the cheese quiz - I always make it slightly different from the last time, today I had a lot of stuff to clean up from the fridge and cupboards:
I boiled some shells in salted water with 1/2 an onion and a bay leaf - and drained
Made my white sauce with 4 tabs butter, 4 tabs flour and 2 cups milk - then I added:
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1/2 cup grated grana padano
1/2 cup chopped up jarlsberg
a little bit of grated feta (maybe 1/4 cup)
After all the cheeses were whisked in I added:
2 tabs each yellow, grain and dijon mustards
a shake or two of paprika, salt and white pepper
Then I added about 1/2 cup of chix stock to loosen the mix a bit and mixed it up with my pasta - in the oven for about 40 minutes, topped with a bit more jarlsberg and under the grill a few more minutes.
It's a rainy day in Sydney, so we couldn't go sailing, instead, I cooked...
How do you make your mac & cheese?
Other messages in this thread:
- 9660. All that talk of cheese above, let's do mac & cheese, here's mine... - sandra-in-australia - 6:24am on 02/03/08 (19)
- I love Martha's recipe. I also add a little blue cheese. - orchid - 5:25pm on 02/03/08
- Martha' s is my favorite recipe, too. I made the cover recipe from the most recent Fine Cooking. - AndreainDC - 8:01pm on 02/03/08
- Thanks, Orchid...made this last night and [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:07pm on 02/04/08
- Do you have any other recommendations from this book? I love the Italian - Curious1 - 3:10pm on 02/04/08
- You're right, that pasta salad sounds really good. - Pat-NoCal - 4:42pm on 02/04/08
- Oh good Pat. I'm glad you liked it. [NT] - orchid - 5:24pm on 02/04/08
- Forgot to say I halved the recipe...was perfect for using up the exact amts of gruyere & cheddar in - Pat-NoCal - 5:30pm on 02/04/08
- Yes, so do I Pat. It's enough to feed an army! [NT] - orchid - 8:46pm on 02/04/08
- Neener's TDF Macaroni and Cheese. It's the only one I've made since I tried it. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 6:13pm on 02/03/08
- I love the note about burying the veggies in it---LOL [NT] - AngAk - 11:09pm on 02/04/08
- Yeah, who would DO that?! [NT] - Joe - 11:41pm on 02/04/08
- My current fave is Stonewall Kitchen's - both DH & DD liked it - rare to ge them both to agree! - Music City Missy - 2:08am on 02/04/08
- Here's one our our favorite twists on mac and cheese [NT] [LINK] - GeorgiaRose - 4:05pm on 02/05/08
- Hi Sandra, I rec'd rave reviews over a rec: posted by Michael, (I believe) for Patti Labelles - barb_b - 7:02pm on 02/05/08
- Barb, could it be this Over The Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese posted in T&T by MariaD? [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:14pm on 02/05/08
- Pat, That's it! Thanks so much for tracking it down! Very much appreciated! It is a true keeper! [NT] - barb_b - 5:33pm on 02/06/08
- Stephanie's on Newbury St. in Boston Mac & Cheese - clofthwld - 11:59pm on 02/09/08
- this Baked Rigatoni with Bechamel from Giada Di. is really nice for a change [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 1:24am on 02/12/08