Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I have a similar recipe, but with far less tomato....REC
Joined: Dec 22, 2005
Posted to Thread #10081 at 6:36 pm on Mar 16, 2008
that comes from the early 1980's by Ortho Books...yes, that's the chemical company! This is my T & T standby!
Sopa Seca de Fideo
(Dry Soup of Vermicelli)
Adventures in Mexican Cooking
© Ortho Books
8 oz. coiled vermicelli, broken
3 Tbsp. oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped bell pepper
1 tomato, peeled and chopped (or 3 oz. tomato sauce)
2 cups beef or chicken stock
Break the vermicelli in short lengths, then brown in hot oil. It is more delicate than rice; do not burn.
Push the vermicelli to one side, add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook until onion is soft. Add tomato and mix all together with the vermicelli.
Add the boiling stock and season to taste. Cover and cook over a very low flame until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese or a dab of sour cream. (We add both.)
Other messages in this thread:
- 10081. ISO Michael in Phoenix, please do tell what sort of beans you might make along with carnitas? - Barbara in VA - 3:21pm on 03/15/08 (17)
- BORRACHO BEANS! Barbara, these are a great TexMex side dish... - MarkinHouston - 10:48pm on 03/15/08
- Sopa Seca ( Mexican Rice) - MarkinHouston - 10:52pm on 03/15/08
- This is nearly the same as my recipe only.... - GayleMO - 1:34am on 03/18/08
- Hi Barbara. Mark's recipe is almost identical to mine. It is wonderful. I add... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:02am on 03/16/08
- Michael...any chance you've got a recipe for those Indian Fry Bread Tacos? mmm..... [NT] - Traca - 8:41am on 03/16/08
- I couldn't get the dough recipe from Vern, but he always says it's just a simple... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:29pm on 03/16/08
- Michael, Traca, I have Beth Hensberger's BREADS OF THE SOUTHWEST - Stephanie-Oh - 6:14pm on 03/16/08
- Indian Fry Bread - Stephanie-Oh - 8:29pm on 03/16/08
- The semi-homemade way of making fry bread: - BobbiJoAZ - 9:00pm on 03/16/08
- I found this in my Sunset All-Time-Favorites cookbook. REC: Navajo Tacos - Dawn_MO - 11:50pm on 03/16/08
- Thanks for the recipes! We have a family recipe and the exact origin is unknown, but I suspect it's - Traca - 3:06pm on 03/17/08
- It's a terrible photo, but this is what we call our family recipe (origin unknown) [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 4:59pm on 03/17/08
- Thank you Michael!! Toasted coriander seeds to toss on Chicken Salad...YUM!! [NT] - Glennis_NoCA - 2:19am on 03/17/08
- OMG, Mark and Michael--what wonderful recipes! I can't thank you both enough! - Barbara in VA - 12:20pm on 03/16/08
- The Borracho Beans are wonderful... - Dawn_MO - 2:55pm on 03/16/08
- I have a similar recipe, but with far less tomato....REC - Glennis_NoCA - 6:36pm on 03/16/08
- I make something very similar, just adding some corn on the cob, cut in 2 inch pieces. - AngAk - 4:55pm on 03/17/08