Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Tibetan Recipe: Lamb Momos
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #10416 at 5:09 pm on Apr 17, 2008
Yield: 12 servings
2 c All-purpose flour
3/4 c Hot water
8 oz Lean ground lamb
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
1 c Chopped raw kale
1/2 c Cilantro, chopped
3 Cloves garlic, chopped
1 tb Chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 ts Curry powder
1 tb Sherry, vermouth or brandy
2 ts Flour
2 ts Soy sauce
1/2 ts Cayenne pepper or 1/2 ts Hot chili paste
2 tb Butter
1 Chopped onion
3 Cloves garlic, chopped
3 Jalapeno Peppers, Sliced
1 ts Cumin 1
1/2 ts Curry powder
1/2 ts Dry ground ginger
1/2 ts Tumeric
1 1/2 c Raw broccoli, chopped
1/2 Red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 c Mashed Baking Potatoes
1/4 c Chopped cilantro
2 tb Yogurt
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt and Cayenne to taste
1 Bunch Kale to line steamer
Dough: 1. Pour hot water over flour; mix with fork. When cool enough to handle, finish mixing with your hands until dough holds together. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled through.
2. Work one piece of dough at a time; pinch off a walnut-sized chunk, shape into a ball, knead several times, then roll flat on a floured board.
3. Place dough circle in the palm of your hand; in the middle of the dough, place about 1 tbsp filling. Bring up edges and seal at top with little gathers. Leave a tiny hole at top for steam to escape during cooking.
4. Line steamer or bottom of skillet with kale leaves. Top with a layer of dumplings and steam over boiling water 15 to 20 minutes. If using a skillet use just enough water to cushion the Momos; replenish water as needed. Serve immediately, pairing Momos with soy sauce, ginger, and vinegar. May also be served with Achar.
Momos Filling: Combine all ingredients.
Khote Filling: 1. Melt butter in skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook over low heat until onion is limp. Add chiles and spices and cook a minute or two longer.
2. Add broccoli and red bell pepper. Cook until they are crisp-tender; then add mashed potatoes, cilantro, yogurt, lime, and salt and cayenne to taste.
Other messages in this thread:
- 10416. Tibetan Recipe: "Barfi" Cream Cheese Cake - Richard in Cincy - 5:06pm on 04/17/08 (20)
- Tibetan Recipe: Lamb Momos - Richard in Cincy - 5:09pm on 04/17/08
- Tibetan Recipe: "Tukpa" Tibetan Monastery Noodle Soup - Richard in Cincy - 5:11pm on 04/17/08
- Richard - question on the kopan masala...green vs black cardamom - Music City Missy - 6:48pm on 04/18/08
- Tibetan Recipe: Curried Potatoes - Richard in Cincy - 5:12pm on 04/17/08
- Tibetan Recipe: "Tse Tofu" Greens with Tofu - Richard in Cincy - 5:14pm on 04/17/08
- Somehow a food dish named Barfi just isn't right. [NT] - Music City Missy - 7:21pm on 04/17/08
- I thought the same thing! [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:30pm on 04/17/08
- And that makes three - deb-in-MI - 8:41pm on 04/17/08
- LOL...four [NT] - Mimi - 12:41pm on 04/18/08
- So what do you think the odds are of "chocolate chip cookie" rendered phoenetically in Tibetan - Richard in Cincy - 3:11pm on 04/18/08
- I'd be careful. Mispronounced, you could end up as the child bride to a yak farmer. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:39pm on 04/18/08
- It's just a language thing - we got some real laughs in the UK one time - Music City Missy - 6:45pm on 04/18/08
- It really is amazing the situations we can create because of language - Richard in Cincy - 2:10am on 04/20/08
- and equally astonishing what a difference just a week makes! [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:18pm on 04/20/08
- The odds are pretty good...we're just funnin' ;o) - Mimi - 11:46am on 04/19/08
- Five... [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:41pm on 04/18/08
- I might have to make this just to see what it's like. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:27pm on 04/18/08
- Admitting too that it actually sounds good. We've got to get a better name for it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:40pm on 04/18/08
- another name for it is 'burfi' - i make 'burfi' in my indian cooking classes sometimes>> - michelle - 9:04pm on 04/18/08
- OKAY folk....I will let you into my most embarrasing moment with the English/USA language..... - joanietoo - 1:17am on 04/22/08