Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
It really is amazing the situations we can create because of language
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #10416 at 2:10 am on Apr 20, 2008
When I first got to Austria for school, 3 years of college German under my belt, I went to the downtown department store to look around. In Austria, a clerk immediately approaches you to assist. I was a poor student and just wanted to look around. She asked if she could assist, and in my best "college" German said to her:
"I only see with my eyes."
She stared at me as if I had just got off the spaceship from Mars.
I was trying to say, "I just want to look around."
I learned more usable German in the next week than I'd learned in three years in college.
Other messages in this thread:
- 10416. Tibetan Recipe: "Barfi" Cream Cheese Cake - Richard in Cincy - 5:06pm on 04/17/08 (20)
- Tibetan Recipe: Lamb Momos - Richard in Cincy - 5:09pm on 04/17/08
- Tibetan Recipe: "Tukpa" Tibetan Monastery Noodle Soup - Richard in Cincy - 5:11pm on 04/17/08
- Richard - question on the kopan masala...green vs black cardamom - Music City Missy - 6:48pm on 04/18/08
- Tibetan Recipe: Curried Potatoes - Richard in Cincy - 5:12pm on 04/17/08
- Tibetan Recipe: "Tse Tofu" Greens with Tofu - Richard in Cincy - 5:14pm on 04/17/08
- Somehow a food dish named Barfi just isn't right. [NT] - Music City Missy - 7:21pm on 04/17/08
- I thought the same thing! [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:30pm on 04/17/08
- And that makes three - deb-in-MI - 8:41pm on 04/17/08
- LOL...four [NT] - Mimi - 12:41pm on 04/18/08
- So what do you think the odds are of "chocolate chip cookie" rendered phoenetically in Tibetan - Richard in Cincy - 3:11pm on 04/18/08
- I'd be careful. Mispronounced, you could end up as the child bride to a yak farmer. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:39pm on 04/18/08
- It's just a language thing - we got some real laughs in the UK one time - Music City Missy - 6:45pm on 04/18/08
- It really is amazing the situations we can create because of language - Richard in Cincy - 2:10am on 04/20/08
- and equally astonishing what a difference just a week makes! [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:18pm on 04/20/08
- The odds are pretty good...we're just funnin' ;o) - Mimi - 11:46am on 04/19/08
- Five... [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:41pm on 04/18/08
- I might have to make this just to see what it's like. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:27pm on 04/18/08
- Admitting too that it actually sounds good. We've got to get a better name for it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:40pm on 04/18/08
- another name for it is 'burfi' - i make 'burfi' in my indian cooking classes sometimes>> - michelle - 9:04pm on 04/18/08
- OKAY folk....I will let you into my most embarrasing moment with the English/USA language..... - joanietoo - 1:17am on 04/22/08