Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Pat in TO||
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Posted to Thread #1115 at 8:41 pm on Mar 15, 2006
I'm sure there are a billion recipes for this, but this is what I do. Just saw a new recipe today that included 2 cups of wilted greens of some sort....spinach, parsley(?), kale, etc...wilted separately and then added in. I might try that this year.
1 lb (or so)cabbage coarsely chopped
2.5 lbs (or so) russet potatoes peeled and chopped
Milk, butter, and seasonings to taste
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 cup shredded chedder, Irish if available
Cook potatoes and cabbage together in salted water, to cover, until the potatoes are tender. Drain well and toss over flame to dry things up. Mash coarsely together using a potato masher.
And milk or cream, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. It should be like mashed potatoes. Mix in scallions and cheese and turn into a buttered casserole. You can keep it until later ...but don't refrigerate... then warm it through in the oven, topping with more cheese if you like. Dot with butter before serving.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1115. Did we do this yet? ISO your St. Patrick's Day (week) creations? [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:59pm on 03/13/06 (19)
- Traditional but terrified >>> - ErininIsrael - 11:27pm on 03/13/06
- What are you braising the cabbage in? - judy-mass - 11:45pm on 03/13/06
- Using the World's Best Rec below :-), but this also sounds good (and quick!) [NT] - ErininIsrael - 7:35am on 03/14/06
- It's "traditional" to boil up the cabbage... - Pat in TO - 12:07am on 03/14/06
- Rec: World's Best Braised Green Cabbage ...This is delicious if you want to braise it>> - Curious1 - 12:40am on 03/14/06
- This is a favorite! Could you post it up in favorites! [NT] - AngAk - 1:57am on 03/14/06
- Done. [NT] - Curious1 - 2:54pm on 03/14/06
- Not a complaint, but a question ;o) I thought the "Favorite Recipes" forum... - DawnNYS - 8:56pm on 03/14/06
- This recipe was from "the other place". I thought it needed to find a new home here :) [NT] - AngAk - 9:11pm on 03/14/06
- Okay, 'question answered (I'm doing it right) ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:45pm on 03/14/06
- Thanks!! I can't wait to try this out [NT] - RoseM - 3:50am on 03/14/06
- I will attest to this recipe. It is truly the world's best. [NT] - Durward - 12:26pm on 03/14/06
- Do you think this would work with butter instead of olive oil? - Pat in TO - 8:11pm on 03/17/06
- an Emeril tweak to this..... - Janet in NC - 8:20pm on 03/19/06
- Yes, Pat, please post the recipe for the casserole. TIA. [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:47pm on 03/14/06
- Potatoes Colcannon - Pat in TO - 8:41pm on 03/15/06
- Sounds good! I will try this one too. [NT] - DawnNYS - 10:24pm on 03/15/06
- I was going to make the traditional "New England Boiled Dinner" with... - DawnNYS - 9:07pm on 03/14/06
- Some favorites. - AngAk - 9:16pm on 03/14/06