Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
A question for you experts out there.........re modification of Potato and Onion Cake Recipe
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #11115 at 5:28 pm on Jun 20, 2008
I want to serve this dish to guests on Sunday. One of my guests cannot eat potatoes (too high in potassium). I'm thinking I would prepare one ramekin with just the onion and then just before serving add rice. My question is......will the rice hold together is or should I add a binding agent to it. If so, what would do the trick? Or, should I bake the rice in the ramekin?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Potato and Onion Cakes
~adapted from a random magazine in a random auto mechanic shop in a random suburb of Chicago
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, plus 6 sprigs for ramekins
1 small red onion, sliced into 6 1/4” rounds
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, grated
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter ramekins, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegars.
Place a rosemary sprig in the bottom of each ramekin, then lay one onion round over the rosemary.
Toss potatoes with egg, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt.
Divide the potatoes into ramekins and dot with remaining butter.
Bake for 30 minutes, until brown.
To remove the cakes, slide a knife around the edge of the ramekin, then turn upside down.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11115. A question for you experts out there.........re modification of Potato and Onion Cake Recipe - Sylvia - 5:28pm on 06/20/08 (7)
- Never tried this, but here's an italian version of rice pie [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:51pm on 06/20/08
- Thanks for the suggestion Marilyn. [NT] - Sylvia - 8:00pm on 06/20/08
- wouldn't rice cooked in a rice cooker be sticky enough to hold together? I think a wild rice mix - AngAk - 7:15pm on 06/20/08
- Ang, I am thinking the rice would be sticky enough to hold. Can't do wild rice....too much potassium [NT] - Sylvia - 7:59pm on 06/20/08
- Flavour was fine. I was disappointed because I had grated and organized the custard cups - Sylvia - 1:17am on 06/23/08
- Sylvia...practice saying this with a straight face: "Lovely color, isn't it. It's a new sepia hybrid - MarilynFL - 1:42pm on 06/23/08
- Marilyn, LOL! This dish won't be making it another dinner party menu. I like to prepare dishes I can - Sylvia - 7:49pm on 06/23/08