Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #11120 at 8:32 pm on Jun 20, 2008
This is delicious.
CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
1 1/2 cups uncooked couscous (10 oz box) (I use whole wheat couscous)
1 cup dried cranberries (4 oz)
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (I use about 1 1/2 cups)
2/3 tsp curry powder (or to taste) (I use a little more than 1 tsp)
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions/scallions (around 2)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
15 1/2 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (I use a little less, about 3/4 can)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
(Sometimes I add a few small shakes of cinnamon)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 1/2 lemons)
1 Tbsp grated orange peel (about 1 - 1 1/2 oranges)
2 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1 Tbsp thawed frozen orange juice concentrate (I use a little more frozen orange juice concentrate, to taste, OR I use some fresh orange juice, to taste, in addition to the concentrate)
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 medium - medium/large garlic cloves, crushed
1. Combine couscous, cranberries, green peas, and curry powder in large bowl.
2. Pour 2 cups boiling water over couscous mixture.
3. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
4. Stir in green onions, basil, and chickpeas.
1. Combine lemon juice and remaining ingredients in jar, cover tightly and shake vigorously.
2. Strain out garlic pieces.
3. Pour over couscous and mix thoroughly. Mix in salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or until cold. It's important to leave it in the refrigerator at least one hour, so the flavors can blend. (I usually chill it about 4 - 5 hours).
5. Serve cold.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Adapted from Cooking Light
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11120. ISO cold recipes - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 6:54pm on 06/20/08 (40)
- from CathyZ: Julia Child's Gazpacho Salad [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 7:20pm on 06/20/08
- If mom can handle the acid, how about Tomato Granita...or just freeze Bloody Mary mix. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 7:34pm on 06/20/08
- Gelatin salad made with shredded carrots, minced celery, chopped - AnnVA - 7:49pm on 06/20/08
- Amanda_Pennsylvania - Found this wonderful article on Cold Soups can't wait to try some.... [LINK] - GayR - 8:01pm on 06/20/08
- Rec:Cucumber Cooler (Cold soup) - Melissa Dallas - 8:03pm on 06/20/08
- This sounds delicious - will be trying it as soon as my cucumbers come in - thanks [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:13am on 06/21/08
- REC: Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries [LINK] - Meryl - 8:32pm on 06/20/08
- REC: Salade de Concombres Et Chevrey (Cucumber and Goat Cheese Salad) - Meryl - 8:35pm on 06/20/08
- Or rather "Chevre." :) [NT] - Meryl - 8:35pm on 06/20/08
- This has to be good with goat cheese....thank you for this one [NT] - Marsha tbay - 9:24pm on 06/20/08
- I love this salad - have made it many times! [NT] - Meryl - 9:26pm on 06/20/08
- Deviled eggs? Smooth and cool. [NT] - Michael in Tampa - 8:59pm on 06/20/08
- Cold Avocado Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:04pm on 06/20/08
- Cold Berry Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:05pm on 06/20/08
- Chilled Peach Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:06pm on 06/20/08
- Cold Butternut Squash Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:07pm on 06/20/08
- Grand Floridian's Strawberry Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:08pm on 06/20/08
- Sweet Red Pepper Soup - Marsha tbay - 9:13pm on 06/20/08
- This sounds good: Chilled Cucumber & Yogurt Soup w/ Dill & Fresh Mint [LINK] - Meryl - 9:11pm on 06/20/08
- Another one that sounds good: Chilled Carrot Soup with Cumin and Lime [LINK] - Meryl - 9:13pm on 06/20/08
- Oooh, Meryl, this one sounds good! Maybe tomorrow...... [NT] - Marsha tbay - 9:21pm on 06/20/08
- Wow, I'm overwhelmed! Thanks so much, all. I'll give some of these a try. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 9:32pm on 06/20/08
- it's just what you get when you ask your family. [NT] - rvb - 11:19pm on 06/20/08
- Hey rvb, can I borrow a few bucks for gas?? [NT] - AngAk - 12:24am on 06/21/08
- you cook dinner, i'll buy gas. [NT] - rvb - 1:35am on 06/21/08
- Then can I borrow the car? I'm just going to the mall with some friends. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:40pm on 06/22/08
- You can't take it right now, I'm using to to go to the movies...... [NT] - LisainLA - 8:00pm on 06/25/08
- <whine>But I asked first! It's just not fair!</whine> [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 11:01pm on 06/25/08
- OK, you come to the movies with me, and then I'll go to the mall with you... - LisainLA - 11:59pm on 06/25/08
- Sounds great! [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 12:15am on 06/26/08
- wow, you two have money for gas AND the movies and mall? I may have to learn how to ride - AngAk - 12:45am on 06/26/08
- Pantellerian Potato Salad - not your father's potato salad. - rvb - 11:16pm on 06/20/08
- Here are a few more Amanda... - Dawn_MO - 2:17pm on 06/21/08
- What about homemade juices? - Glennis_NoCA - 11:26pm on 06/21/08
- Good idea. She's been making smoothies and such, too. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 8:25pm on 06/23/08