Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Nice thread...here's another fave. Rec: Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #11369 at 2:44 am on Jul 14, 2008
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
2 lbs. medium shrimp (usually use 21-25/lb. size)
3-1/2 tbsp olive oil
3-1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped very fine (Pat's note: I used more)
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped very fine
salt and black pepper
Shell the shrimp and remove their dark vein. Wash in cold water and pat dry.
Put the shrimp in a roomy bowl. Add as much of the oils, in equal parts, and of the bread crumbs as you need to coat the shrimp evenly but lightly all over. You may not require all the oil indicated in the ingredients list, but if you have a large number of very small shrimp, you may need even more. When you increase the quantity, use olive and vegetable oil in equal amounts.
Add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper, and toss thoroughly to coat the shrimp well. Allow them to steep in their coating a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, at room temp.
Preheat the broiler at least 15 minutes before you are ready to cook, or light the charcoal in time for it to form white ash before cooking.
Skewer the shrimp tightly, curling one end of each shrimp inward so that the skewer goes through at three points, preventing the shrimp from slipping as you turn the skewer on the grill.
Cook the shrimp briefly, close to the source of heat. Depending on their size and the intensity of the fire, about 2 minutes on one side and 1-1/2 minutes on the other, just until they form a thin, golden crust.
Source: Marcella Hazan
Marcella Hazan says: "There is no other way I have ever come across that produces grilled shrimp as juicy as these. The coating of olive-soaked bread crumbs is what does it. When preparing it, bear in mind that there should be enough oil to film the shrimp, but not so much to drench them, enough bread crumbs to absorb oil and keep it from running, but not so much to bread them and form a thick crust."
Pat's notes: These are delicious and so easy. Great served hot with lemon wedges on the side. Also tried out a new jarred Romesco sauce on the side for dipping and that was lovely too. Sometimes I don’t skewer them and just lay them straight on the grill especially when I use jumbo shrimp or scampi.
A quick way I’ve found to defrost shrimp....just pull from the freezer, put them in a strainer, run under some cold water for a few seconds, and let them sit 7 or 8 minutes in the strainer until they are thawed and ready to play with. Love the ease of that! This recipe would also be perfect for serving as an appetizer or main course to unexpected guests -- something delicious but not time consuming.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11369. Thanks again, everyone, for all the shrimp recipes. I'm posting them again here as a resource - Joe - 3:51pm on 07/13/08 (38)
- Basil Shrimp from Cyn - Joe - 3:52pm on 07/13/08
- Charlie's Camarones En Escabeche - Joe - 3:53pm on 07/13/08
- Also from Charlie: Emeril's Creole Shrimp - Joe - 3:54pm on 07/13/08
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail from Maria D. - Joe - 3:55pm on 07/13/08
- Drunken Shrimp a La Greque from Meryl - Joe - 3:56pm on 07/13/08
- Layered Fruit & Shrimp Salad from Charlie - Joe - 3:58pm on 07/13/08
- Marinated Shrimp with Orange Mango Dipping Sauce from Meryl - Joe - 3:59pm on 07/13/08
- PF Chang's Lemongrass Prawns with Garlic Noodles from Marilyn - Joe - 4:00pm on 07/13/08
- Couldn't find them here, but this is one link. [NT] [LINK] - Marg CDN - 5:10pm on 07/15/08
- Or, it was a formatting mess, so here it is just in text. - Marg CDN - 5:19pm on 07/15/08
- Pickled Shrimp from Music City Missy - Joe - 4:02pm on 07/13/08
- Prawns Wrapped in Serrano Ham from Luisa - Joe - 4:04pm on 07/13/08
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp with Orange Marmalade from Charilie - Joe - 4:05pm on 07/13/08
- Shrimp and Eggplant Turnovers from Olga - Joe - 4:06pm on 07/13/08
- Shrimp Ceviche With Avocado from Meryl - Joe - 4:07pm on 07/13/08
- Shrimp with Mango Coconut Dipping Sauce by Music City Missy - Joe - 4:09pm on 07/13/08
- Skewered Rosemary Shrimp with Mint Pesto by Pat - Joe - 4:10pm on 07/13/08
- Spicy Shrimp from Charlie - Joe - 4:12pm on 07/13/08
- Upside-Down Marinated Shrimp Bowl from Gay - Joe - 4:15pm on 07/13/08
- Shrimp in Green Mayo from Meryl - Joe - 4:30pm on 07/13/08
- Hundred Corner Shrimp Balls (Dim Sum) from Olga - Joe - 4:37pm on 07/13/08
- Wow - that's some list! Thanks for posting them all together. [NT] - Meryl - 10:52pm on 07/13/08
- A real treasure. Feel free to add to it, but to keep it under 30 posts, add here: [NT] - Joe - 11:32pm on 07/13/08
- Nice thread...here's another fave. Rec: Grilled Shrimp Skewers - Pat-NoCal - 2:44am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:08am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Barbecued Shrimp with Ginger and Lime [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:10am on 07/14/08
- Grilled Shrimp with Ponzu Sauce [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:11am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Carianna in WA's shrimp cakes [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:12am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Comida Mexicana (Shrimp Ceviche “Cocktail”) [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:14am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Shrimp Remoulade & tartlet recipes [NT] [LINK] [IMAGE] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:17am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Grilled New Orleans-Style Shrimp [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:20am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Tangy Orange B-B-Q Shrimp W/Bacon - orchid - 3:56am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Moyn's Artichoke Shrimp Bowl - LisainLA - 5:15am on 07/14/08
- Rec: Rummy Barbecued Shrimp - Curious1 - 2:57pm on 07/16/08
- Garlic Peppered Shrimp - Marsha tbay - 3:28pm on 07/16/08
- Shrimp Baked with Blue Cheese - Marsha tbay - 3:34pm on 07/16/08
- Shrimp with Pungent Fruit Sauce - Marsha tbay - 3:39pm on 07/16/08
- O Shrimp [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 11:40pm on 07/16/08