Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Add a little cream cheese & mint to the equation and you get REC: Mint Ice Cream...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #11668 at 10:43 am on Aug 14, 2008
Mint Ice Cream
Recipe By :Jeni Britton
2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch -- plus
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 1/2 ounces cream cheese -- softened (3 tablespoons)
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup mint leaves -- coarsely chopped
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch. In another large bowl, whisk the cream cheese until smooth.
In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk with the heavy cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and cook over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Add the chopped mint. Whisk in the salt. Set the bowl in the ice water bath and let stand, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 20 minutes.
Strain the ice cream base into an ice cream maker, pressing the mint leaves with the back of a spoon to extract all of the flavor, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pack the ice cream into a plastic container.
Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream and close with an airtight lid. Freeze the mint ice cream until firm, about 4 hours.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11668. Question for the Ice Cream Makers...Have you ever seen a recipe using FLOUR in the base? - Traca - 2:10am on 08/13/08 (35)
- Adding to the topic, I just found this discussion...(see link) I've used [LINK] - Traca - 2:15am on 08/13/08
- here's one from cook's.com [NT] [LINK] - rvb - 12:16pm on 08/13/08
- I wonder if that's the recipe they used. Of course they're doing production on a larger scale and - Traca - 2:36pm on 08/14/08
- I've never made ice cream with flour--I'm curious to see if it's the secret ingredient - MoNJ - 12:48pm on 08/13/08
- I just made some using tapioca starch. Don't make it often enough to notice a difference. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:05pm on 08/13/08
- I have a pound of the tapioca starch. If anyone wants to do a test, let me know and I'll mail it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:50pm on 08/13/08
- Now, would that be the same as tapioca flour? [NT] - Marg CDN - 7:17pm on 08/13/08
- From a quick Google search, it seems to be. Want to play with some? [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:47pm on 08/13/08
- Thanks but I have some that needs to be chucked. I buy stuff & forget about it. Always big plans. [NT] - Marg CDN - 7:51pm on 08/13/08
- If you mail it, be sure to label it all over the place!!! (white powder) [NT] - PatBastrop - 9:24pm on 08/13/08
- Yikes...you're right! Cocaine Coco on the loose. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:10am on 08/14/08
- I've not seen flour used, but Jeni Britton uses cornstarch in her REC: Vanilla Bean Ice Cream... - charlie - 1:31pm on 08/13/08
- Alton Brown made ice cream on an episode last night using nut oil... - aajay - 4:11pm on 08/13/08
- Here is Mark Bittman's Cornstarch Ice Cream complete with video [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:44pm on 08/13/08
- Oh!! Gay, that helps so much! Did you see the comments from Harold McGee? - Traca - 3:13am on 08/14/08
- Yes, Traca and duly noted! Great article and video! [NT] - GayR - 4:04pm on 08/14/08
- Wow! You guys are great. As far as I can see..there aren't many recipes that include [LINK] - Traca - 3:08am on 08/14/08
- This is an outstanding chocolate gelato recipe - No cream, but it does use egg yolks. I use Dutch [LINK] - Meryl - 3:19am on 08/14/08
- Meryl...once again we're on the same chocolate wavelength! I printed 2 recipes to try - Traca - 3:28am on 08/14/08
- REC: Pistachio Ice Cream... - charlie - 10:45am on 08/14/08
- charlie, have you ever heated the milk WITH the pistachios? Oh my goodness - MarilynFL - 2:07pm on 08/14/08
- I'd like to see that one--pistachio is my favorite ice cream [NT] - charlie - 2:12pm on 08/14/08
- How about this one from Lebovitz REC: Pistachio Gelato... - charlie - 2:13pm on 08/14/08
- Follow up to Alice Medrich's comments above... - Traca - 4:25pm on 08/14/08
- Add a little cream cheese & mint to the equation and you get REC: Mint Ice Cream... - charlie - 10:43am on 08/14/08
- Charlie, this is great! I had no idea who Jeni Briton was, so I looked her up. Like the Kulfi [LINK] - Traca - 1:57pm on 08/14/08
- I was struck by the fact that she went through 75 versions until she was satisfied with the results [NT] - charlie - 2:07pm on 08/14/08
- Yes, and that was just to develop a recipe for the home cook! Imagine the work she went - Traca - 2:15pm on 08/14/08
- You've inspired me to uncover my old machine-an older one without a detachable chamber--bother! [NT] - charlie - 2:23pm on 08/14/08
- As long as your dusting off your machine...do try the Chez Panisse Rum Ice Cream. One of our local [LINK] - Traca - 2:31pm on 08/14/08
- Thanks Traca [NT] - charlie - 2:56pm on 08/14/08
- Ice Cream report - MoNJ - 3:17pm on 08/14/08
- meant to say split 1/4 splenda and 1/4 cip sugar--sorry! [NT] - MoNJ - 5:06pm on 08/14/08
- errrr, cup. I give up!! [NT] - MoNJ - 9:09pm on 08/14/08
- What a clever substitution....Love your idea re: coconut milk! [NT] - barb_b - 7:19pm on 08/14/08