Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #12258 at 10:39 pm on Oct 14, 2008
Apple Streusel Coffeecake
Woman’s Day Magazine, Oct 1995
1-1/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut in small pieces
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter or margarine, at room temperature
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 container (16-oz.) plain low-fat yogurt
2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/2” dice
Heat oven to 350 deg. Grease and flour a 14-cup nonstick bundt pan.
For streusel: In medium bowl, stir brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon with a fork or rub together with fingertips until crumbly and butter is completely incorporated. Stir in walnuts.
For cake: Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Beat in vanilla and yogurt. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended, scraping down bowl as necessary. Spoon 3 cups batter into pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel, the apples, then 1/2 cup streusel. Spoon on remaining batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle with rest of streusel, pressing down lightly so it sticks to batter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Place a cookie sheet over the pan, then carefully invert to remove cake.
Can be served warm or cooled.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 12258. I am going to be receiving 2 quarts of organic goat yogurt on Thursday. - Dawn_MO - 8:17pm on 10/14/08 (10)
- tatziki, tatziki and more tatizki. Also yogurt mixed with a tad of brown sugar to top crisps or - Nan - 9:04pm on 10/14/08
- I second that!! Raita and Tzatziki should be served with a straw! Or naan... or pita... [NT] - cheezz - 10:45pm on 10/14/08
- REC: Mango Lassi [LINK] - cheezz - 10:37pm on 10/14/08
- My daughters and I LOVE this and we've never made it. - Lana in FL - 2:01am on 10/16/08
- SUPER easy recipe... you can adapt it to another fruit... peach or strawberry maybe? [NT] - cheezz - 5:00am on 10/16/08
- No, has to be mango, but our Indian shop has canned mango puree :) [NT] - Lana in FL - 8:41pm on 10/18/08
- REC: Apple Streusel Coffee Cake - cheezz - 10:39pm on 10/14/08
- Our favorite new snack is frozen blueberries topped with sweetened yogurt.... - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:41am on 10/15/08
- I don't know, I have never had it before. My friend came into a bunch of it - Dawn_MO - 2:56pm on 10/15/08
- no, it doesn't taste like goat cheese... just a little thinner than regular yogurt [NT] - cheezz - 11:10pm on 10/15/08