Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
From the NY Times REC: Brandied Pumpkin & Chestnut Pie...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #12304 at 3:25 pm on Oct 19, 2008
Brandied Pumpkin and Chestnut Pie
Serving Size : 8
1 small sugar pumpkin -- or medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds) peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons brandy -- such as Cognac
5 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 Pinch ground cloves
3/4 cup sweetened chestnut paste -- (such as creme de marrons)
PREBAKED PIE SHELL -- For a 9-inch pie
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss pumpkin with butter and granulated sugar. Arrange on a baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until caramelized and very soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool (this can be done up to 5 days ahead).
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Purée pumpkin in a food processor or blender. In a bowl, combine 1 cup purée with 1 cup cream. Save any leftover purée for another use: it freezes well. Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, brandy, ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in pumpkin mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine chestnut paste with remaining ¼ cup cream. Spread chestnut mixture in pie crust. Top with pumpkin filling.
Transfer pie to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until pie is firm to the touch but jiggles slightly when moved, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature before slicing.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12304. Do you think fresh pumpkin puree is worth the effort? - MarilynFL - 2:50pm on 10/18/08 (22)
- Rec: Easy Fresh Pumpkin Puree - Classic Home Desserts [LINK] - Ann - 3:49pm on 10/18/08
- Ann, the text is limited to a small 2" square. I can scroll through it. Am I doing this right? [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:57pm on 10/18/08
- If link to recipe doesn't work, try googling "easy fresh pumpkin puree Classic Home Desserts" [LINK] - Ann - 9:45pm on 10/18/08
- ah, that worked...thanks Ann! [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:08pm on 10/19/08
- This intrigues me: Guy Savoy's French Pumpkin Pie [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:02pm on 10/18/08
- Rec: Mexican Pumpkin Flan. Mar, I happened to see this [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 5:46pm on 10/18/08
- Marilyn, we like fresh pumpkin better than canned. REC: Fresh Pumpkin Pie and Thai Pumpkin Soup - Dawn_MO - 5:22pm on 10/18/08
- ...and I'm almost afraid to try these: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Truffles [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:59pm on 10/18/08
- Fresh vs. Tinned - BonnieinHolland - 7:05pm on 10/18/08
- I like to use butternut squash. I split the squash and roast it face down on an oiled cookie sheet. - PatBastrop - 8:33pm on 10/18/08
- From what I understand is most canned pumpkin is butternut squash. I love butternuts, as a veg, in - Nan - 9:25pm on 10/18/08
- Really? Squash sold as pumpkin? Are they allowed to do that? [NT] - MarilynFL - 9:31am on 10/19/08
- Actually pumpkins are squash--here are two interesting links-- [NT] [LINK] [IMAGE] - Nan - 1:51pm on 10/19/08
- I used fresh (a large one) for a pie once and we ended up throwing it out. But these days - Shaun in TO - 8:48pm on 10/18/08
- Check Nov/Dec issue of Cooks Illustrated. they say very few tasters could tell the difference ..... - Janet in NC - 10:04pm on 10/18/08
- canned pumpkin is very heavy and dark... fresh is lighter all around and tastes MARvelous! [NT] - cheezz - 10:25pm on 10/18/08
- Poor Marilyn. I think we've given her a headache. She must be watching Young Frankenstein like me [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 12:24am on 10/19/08
- I LOVE that movie! And The Producers & High Anxiety. Just watched the Marx Brothers' Room Service - Meryl - 12:49am on 10/19/08
- I see you have good taste! I love Mel Brooks' movies - High Anxiety is a scream!! [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 1:20am on 10/19/08
- Thanks all for the great responses. I don't think I'll bother with the Walmart version - MarilynFL - 9:33am on 10/19/08
- From the NY Times REC: Brandied Pumpkin & Chestnut Pie... - charlie - 3:25pm on 10/19/08
- make your own ala Pioneerwoman. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 6:29pm on 10/20/08