Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Glazed Game Hens with Master Sauce
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #1273 at 2:49 am on Mar 28, 2006
It's been quite a while since I made this and I don't recall where I got the recipe but I like it alot.
Glazed Game Hens with Master Sauce
8 cups water
1-1/2 cups soy sauce
1/2 cup dry Sherry
3 tbsp sugar
1 whole dried red chili
1 large piece fresh tangerine peel (or orange peel)
5 1/2-inch thick slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 tsp freshly ground Szechwan peppers
2 cinnamon sticks
1 or 2 whole star anise
2 large fresh game hens, trussed, room temperature
2 cups peanut oil or corn oil for deep frying (optional cooking method)
Plum sauce (optional cooking method)
Hot Chinese mustard (optional cooking method)
For sauce: Combine first 12 ingredients in heavy 4 quart saucepan or Dutch oven and mix well. Place pan over low heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Add game hens to sauce breasts side down. Return liquid to low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer game hens 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover pot and let game hens steep in liquid 1 hour. Drain hens well, reserving liquid if desired. Cool hens completely. Cut into serving pieces, quartering breasts. Serve game hens at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
Optional method: After simmering game hens 10 minutes, remove from sauce and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Transfer hens to wire rack and let dry at room temperature at least 4 hours.
Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep saucepan to 375 degrees. Add game hens one at a time and fry, ladling oil over top until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain well on paper towels and dry thoroughly. Chop into bite-size pieces. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Accompany with plum sauce or hot Chinese mustard.
The master sauce can be refrigerated or frozen and used to simmer other meats.
4 to 6 servings.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1273. CORNISH HENS - LUV2COOK - 3:48pm on 03/27/06 (13)
- REC: Dijon Cornish Hens - joyce in upstate NY - 9:05pm on 03/27/06
- REC: Apricot-Glazed Cornish Hens - joyce in upstate NY - 9:07pm on 03/27/06
- Try Ron's Peacock chicken posted at #1172 using the hens. I made this - AngAk - 10:20pm on 03/27/06
- Oh, and welcome new member! [NT] - AngAk - 1:17am on 03/28/06
- Grilled Cornish Hens with Jalapeno Jelly Glaze... - orchid - 10:47pm on 03/27/06
- Rec: Tuscan Cornish Hens - Pat-NoCal - 2:47am on 03/28/06
- Rec: Glazed Game Hens with Master Sauce - Pat-NoCal - 2:49am on 03/28/06
- Rec: Roasted Orange-Herb Game Hen [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:52am on 03/28/06
- Rec: Silo Chicken - AnnNoVA - 3:32am on 03/28/06
- Beer can Cornish Hens (more) - kpinky - 12:44pm on 03/28/06
- CORNISH HEN RECIPES ,THANKS ! DIANE B - LUV2COOK - 4:47pm on 03/28/06
- We're crazy about them too! And they make the BEST gravy... - kpinky - 12:38pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Spiced Cornish Hens with Fig & Ginger Compote - RuthAB - 5:06pm on 03/28/06