Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Review on Coffee Toffee...(thanks Cactus Sue and Traca!)
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #12367 at 3:18 pm on Oct 24, 2008
I tasted the toffee again this morning. It is soo good! My family loves English Toffee and I think they will adore this one, also.
I used about 1 1/2 cups pecans. (1/2 cup on top) Will try walnuts next time. I used Ghirardelli Cho Chips as it's all I had at the moment. Will use good quality choc bar next time - but the Ghirardelli SemiSweet chips are good and a fine substitution.
The freshly grated sea salt was a wonderful addition and I will always do that. Adds that extra zip and it's great!
I found the cinnamon blended with molasses a good combination but I think it would be really good without it, as well. Maybe even alittle more coffee flavor would prevail without the cinnamon.
If you don't have espresso powder, I don't see why you couldn't use real espresso in place of the water in the recipe.
Great recipe and I'm really glad you shared it, Cactus Sue. I think maybe it was posted another time or I saw it somewhere else but had never gotten around to making it.
I think since I'd just gotten my new stove in last week that I was itching to try a new recipe. Think I'm going to start a candy thread to see what all new recipes everyone has come up with this last year. I've got a space rented to sell candy at a Christmas Bazarr at my daughter's work so I'm going to be very busy the next 3 weeks. Open to any and all suggestions!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12367. If you haven't made Orangette's Coffee Toffee - DO IT! She calls it crack, me too! [LINK] - CactusSue - 3:16pm on 10/23/08 (12)
- To quote her: "but anything that requires a candy thermometer seems daunting" - MarilynFL - 3:46pm on 10/23/08
- This toffee is excellent and is the basis for the bacon toffee I make. The thermometer - Traca - 9:46pm on 10/23/08
- Traca, my thoughts exactly on the sea salt! - GayleMO - 11:43pm on 10/23/08
- Yes, I think this would be great with pecans. I've also made it without any nuts and with cacao - Traca - 11:49pm on 10/23/08
- Hi GayleMO - I would definitely use pecans - I only used about 1 cup of walnuts because I thought - CactusSue - 12:06am on 10/24/08
- I will most likely try this. I can't resist the combo of chocolate, coffee and caramelized sugar... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:12pm on 10/23/08
- Michael...was my first thought, too......but... - GayleMO - 12:59am on 10/24/08
- Took another small taste before putting in the fridge to cool.... - GayleMO - 2:02am on 10/24/08
- Gathering up ingredients....LOL Stay posted! [NT] - GayleMO - 12:08am on 10/24/08
- Review on Coffee Toffee...(thanks Cactus Sue and Traca!) - GayleMO - 3:18pm on 10/24/08
- Sounds lovely. Glad it was a hit! [NT] - Traca - 4:13am on 10/25/08
- looks like I'll have to try this one for this Christmas baskets :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:08pm on 10/24/08