Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Gale Gand's REC: Cashew-Cinnamon Brittle...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #12380 at 8:05 pm on Oct 24, 2008
Recipe By :Gale Gand
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups roasted salted cashew nuts -- (if using unsalted cashew nuts, add 1/8 tsp salt with the sugar)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Using vegetable oil, generously oil a sheet pan (preferably one with sides), at least 11 by 17 inches.
In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cream of tartar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer to test it, boil the mixture until it reaches 350 degrees, or is amber-colored.
Remove from the heat and, working quickly, whisk in the cinnamon. Whisk in the butter, cashews, and baking soda.
Pour the mixture onto the oiled pan and spread it out a bit with a wooden spoon, to about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thickness. Donít spread it too thinly. Let harden, uncovered, in a cool place, 30 to 45 minutes. (To wash the saucepan, soak it overnight.) Using your hands, break the brittle into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12380. Anyone have new candy recipes since last year? - GayleMO - 3:26pm on 10/24/08 (19)
- REC: Peanut Candy... I've got to come up with a better name for this... - cheezz - 4:17pm on 10/24/08
- Looks great..but 2 lbs white chocolate?! - GayleMO - 5:55pm on 10/24/08
- Going there now..thx! - GayleMO - 5:56pm on 10/24/08
- Egads. *sigh Sorry bout that, Dawn. [NT] - GayleMO - 5:57pm on 10/24/08
- Doesn't have to be expensive stuff.. use bark if you find it... Trader Joe's is good source [NT] - cheezz - 7:04pm on 10/25/08
- Hi Gayle, check your personal email. I sent you some recipes to look at. [NT] - Dawn_MO - 4:25pm on 10/24/08
- Gayle, here are a few recipes from my files that sound excellent: [NT] - Meryl - 6:42pm on 10/24/08
- Dark Chocolate Bark with Walnuts and Dried Cherries [LINK] - Meryl - 6:43pm on 10/24/08
- Almond Roca [LINK] - Meryl - 6:44pm on 10/24/08
- Marilyn's English Toffee (no, not our Marilyn):) Had great reviews on the Cook's Illustrated Forum - Meryl - 6:46pm on 10/24/08
- Pistachio and Toasted Coconut Chocolate Bark - Meryl - 6:47pm on 10/24/08
- This is one I'm adding to my gift boxes this year. Pecan and Salted Caramel Candy [NT] [LINK] - CynUpstateNY - 7:28pm on 10/24/08
- Gale Gand's REC: Cashew-Cinnamon Brittle... - charlie - 8:05pm on 10/24/08
- REC: Chewy Nut Toffee... - charlie - 8:09pm on 10/24/08
- Marilyn, quick! Transmogrify foil helmet back to Hawaii!!! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 4:17am on 10/25/08
- sorry...what did you say? Can't hear you. I'm huddled under it, wimpering. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:28pm on 10/25/08
- ROFL! [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:37pm on 10/25/08
- we need a bigger helmet... it's going to get crowded with ME under there too!!! [NT] - cheezz - 7:05pm on 10/25/08
- Thanks everyone! These look great! - GayleMO - 4:12pm on 10/25/08