Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I have 2 recipes that use CARDAMOM--> Sour Cream Apple Pie and NISSUA BREAD: REC:
Joined: May 9, 2008
Posted to Thread #12394 at 7:41 pm on Oct 25, 2008
This is an interesting recipe and unique in flavor
PREHEAT OVEN 350°
½ cup butter
1 package yeast, active dry
3 TABLESPOONS warm water (lukewarm) Note: 10 seconds in microwave
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk, scaled and cooled
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
5 cups un-sifted, all-purpose flour
2 TABLESPOONS sugar, plus more to sprinkle on top
2 TABLESPOONS butter
½ cup coffee
1) Melt butter and set aside to cool
2) Dissolve the yeas in the lukewarm water, using a whisk, whisk yeast in water until frothy, and set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl (I use an electric mixer) combine beaten eggs, milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, yeast mixture and butter. Mix. Add flour and mix for 2 to 3 minutes.
4) Knead dough until smooth, on a floured surface or in mixer.
5) Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl, cover and put in a warm place and let rise until nearly doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
6) Punch down and divide into 2 equal portions, or 3 for smaller loaves.
7) Divide each equal portion into thirds.
8) Roll each third between hands to form strands (look like long snakes haha) 18 to 24 inches long.
9) Place 3 strands (of a portion) on a smooth surface, crossing in center, and braid out to each end. Form braid into a ring or keep straight (I like it straight easier to work with) Repeat with other portion, form into 3 strands and braid.
10) Cover lightly with wax/parchment paper and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 2 hours.
11) TOPPING- Meanwhile, prepare the topping by combining sugar, butter and coffee in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Keep warm, but do not let boil.
12) Place in a preheated 350° oven for about 10 minutes or until light brown-
13) Take Nissua Bread out of the oven, and using a pastry bush, brush the coffee (#11) mixture on the loves and return for another 15 minutes.
14) Remove from oven, sprinkle tops with a dusting of sugar and let cool.
NOTE: It was suggested to add a cup of golden raisins to mixture, or pecans. Alternatively, can sprinkle on top of Nissua Bread
In practicing patience, I possess my own Soul
Other messages in this thread:
- 12394. I have 2 recipes that use CARDAMOM--> Sour Cream Apple Pie and NISSUA BREAD: REC: - dianncy1964 - 7:41pm on 10/25/08 (52)
- CARDAMOM RECIPE WEBSITE FOR [NT] [LINK] - dianncy1964 - 8:58pm on 10/25/08
- I get the distinct feeling you're on a cardamom kick. :) Did you see the link I posted for - Meryl - 9:11pm on 10/25/08
- oooohhhhh got to give that one a "MUST DO" Thank you ~ your chocolate highness :) [NT] - dianncy1964 - 9:25pm on 10/25/08
- As a matter of fact, I am on a cardamom kick ~ and I love cloves too they're a nice spice [NT] - dianncy1964 - 9:29pm on 10/25/08
- I always omit the cloves in any and every recipe. My husband can't stand them either! I LOVE - Meryl - 9:41pm on 10/25/08
- Ricotta cheese ~ wow, I thought everyone and the Pope loved Ricotta cheese this is a new one for me! [NT] - dianncy1964 - 10:21pm on 10/25/08
- Blech Blech Blech. AND I'm a cheese lover - love goat cheese (both aged and young), blue cheese, - Meryl - 10:24pm on 10/25/08
- Me too, I absolutely love cheese but don't care too much for sharp cheddar, though I do eat it very - dianncy1964 - 10:29pm on 10/25/08
- I'm with you - give me anything but Ricotta... oh and can't stand the texture of marscapone [NT] - cheezz - 1:01am on 10/26/08
- Me too, me too! I thought I was the only one in the world! [NT] - Meryl - 1:04am on 10/26/08
- Then let me ask you both this: How do you eat LASAGNA, RAVIOLI, STUFFED SHELLS ? without Ricotta ? [NT] - dianncy1964 - 2:21am on 10/26/08
- I make my own vegetarian lasagne with a mixture of several cheeses, mushrooms, spinach, etc. [NT] - Meryl - 2:23am on 10/26/08
- I just make my lasagna with lots of sauce, cheese, sometimes veggies, and stuff shells with sauce - cheezz - 9:38pm on 10/26/08
- Right on! [NT] - Meryl - 11:48pm on 10/26/08
- I do like ricotta, but can I have your recipe for meat sauce with walnuts, Cheezz? (I don't suppose - Joe - 3:52am on 10/27/08
- Ooh, I do please. [NT] - orchid - 4:21am on 10/27/08
- Here you go Orchid, REC: Linguini with Ricotta-Walnut Sauce - Joe - 2:53pm on 10/27/08
- How easy is that?! Sounds fantastic Joe, Thanks! [NT] - orchid - 2:44am on 10/28/08
- Pretty easy! But I must admit it's been years since I made it. I remember it could get a bit gummy.. - Joe - 4:33am on 10/28/08
- REC: Stuffed Jumbo Shells -- here ya go -- been making this for years! - cheezz - 4:32am on 10/27/08
- Thanks cheezz, though if I try it I may sneak a little ricotta in there without telling you. [NT] - Joe - 3:44pm on 10/27/08
- yes, PLEASE don't tell me... I may have nightmares! :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:05am on 10/28/08
- Oh, CEEEEE-eeeezzzzzzz.......Ric-COOOTT-aaaaaaaaaaa......... - Joe - 4:35am on 10/28/08
- EEEEEEEEEEEECCCCKKKKKKK!!!!! Mimi- I think we need an intervention here for chat abuse! :) [NT] - cheezz - 10:51pm on 10/28/08
- Ric-COL-laaaaaahhhhh hahahha (couldn't resist) :) [NT] - dianncy1964 - 1:40am on 10/29/08
- This one sounds good (minus the cloves - I hate them). Spice Cake with Cardamom-Coffee Icing... [LINK] - Meryl - 9:13pm on 10/25/08
- Seriously ~ what have cloves done to you? They are a nice spice WOW THIS IS THE ULTIMATE RECIPE - dianncy1964 - 9:26pm on 10/25/08
- I hated cloves too - until I tried Mark in Houston's Pickled Pineapple! [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 9:33pm on 10/25/08
- I hate hate hate them - just the smell alone makes me run the other way. [NT] - Meryl - 9:36pm on 10/25/08
- Fly's hate the way the smell too~ in fact: If "you" cut a lemon in wedges and insert some cloves ... - dianncy1964 - 10:09pm on 10/25/08
- I love these tips, dianne! Post more, post more! - Sandi in Hawaii - 10:24pm on 10/25/08
- Here's a few more tips that are fun, Since you twisted my arm Sandi - dianncy1964 - 10:44pm on 10/25/08
- Love these - thanks di! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:24am on 10/26/08
- Seriously Meryl, tell us how you REALLY feel about clove (a nice spice) don't hold back hahahaha - dianncy1964 - 10:18pm on 10/25/08
- I'm glad my clove aversion is giving you a good laugh. Me and mosquitos - ha! [NT] - Meryl - 10:21pm on 10/25/08
- It's not your averision (I respect that) it's the way you say it that is killing me :) hahahhaha [NT] - dianncy1964 - 10:22pm on 10/25/08
- c'mon Meryl, just try it. You might find that your taste buds have grown up :) - Sandi in Hawaii - 10:26pm on 10/25/08
- My taste buds are very grown-up, thank you. AND I'll have you know I LOVE cilantro! [NT] - Meryl - 10:29pm on 10/25/08
- Here's another recipe that sounds good: Apple Cardamom Cake [LINK] - Meryl - 9:48pm on 10/25/08
- REC: Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls with Carmamon and Dried Cherries. A nice Thanksgiving recipe. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 6:13am on 10/26/08
- Oops. CardaMOM [NT] - Joe - 6:16am on 10/26/08
- cardamom ~~~ R O C K S [NT] - dianncy1964 - 8:44pm on 10/26/08
- Joe - these sound amazing! Have you made them? Or do you plan to? [NT] - cheezz - 9:47pm on 10/26/08
- Yes, I've made them several times for Thanksgiving. I've kept that issue of BA all these years--lots - Joe - 10:31pm on 10/26/08
- Thanks so much.... these are going to the top of the 'to try' pile :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:33am on 10/27/08
- REC: Pepparkakkar (Swedish Spice Cake) - AnnVA - 8:48pm on 10/26/08
- AnnVA your recipe looks great ~ ANOTHER ONE I must try ~ though Meryl won't ~ has CLOVES in it and - dianncy1964 - 11:43pm on 10/26/08
- I'm with Meryl... I would just add more cinnamon and cardomom... hate nutmeg too! [NT] - cheezz - 4:34am on 10/27/08
- What has nutmeg done to you? Do you hate hate hate nutmeg? Wow the 2 of you no cloves or nutmeg [NT] - dianncy1964 - 5:48am on 10/27/08
- aw heck, we'll just leave out ALL the spice and call it Swedish Cake! But then who would eat it?! [NT] - cheezz - 3:07am on 10/28/08
- The next time I make this cake I'm going to try it w/o the ground cloves - AnnVA - 5:35pm on 10/27/08