Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Rec: Sugar Crisps -- Perfect rolled sugar cookie.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #12648 at 2:35 am on Nov 16, 2008
Looking for a rolled sugar cookie that looks exactly like the cutter AFTER it's baked? These cookies do not spread at all, the edges are clear and sharp. Absolutely perfect for rolling and cutting shapes for holiday decorating (which is what I'm doing tonight). And they taste amazing, nice and crisp as the title suggests.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of mace
Cream butter and sugar, beat in the egg, zest, salt, and vanilla. Mix in the flour until combined. Roll into ball, seal in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours or over night.
Divide dough into 1/4ths and roll to 1/8 inch on parchment paper, dusting very lightly with flour as needed. Cut. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. You can put the cookies very close together, nearly touching. They do not spread.
Refrigerate cookies on sheet for 15 min.
Bake at 350F. for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges just start turning golden.
Decorate as desired.
Bakes about 6 dozen cutouts.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12648. Rec: Sugar Crisps -- Perfect rolled sugar cookie. - Richard in Cincy - 2:35am on 11/16/08 (7)
- Crisp edges AND crisp cookies that actually taste good... what a find! [NT] - cheezz - 3:28am on 11/16/08
- This flies in the face of everything I've read about butter & spreading. I'm so confused. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:56pm on 11/17/08
- Marilyn, I know, but they really behave as advertised. Perfect clean lines and no spreading. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 3:14pm on 11/18/08
- they have no leavening agent, other than egg, so maybe that's what keeps them "shapely". what icing - AngAk - 8:26pm on 11/18/08
- Richard, will you be freezing these, decorated, for the holidays? [NT] - AngAk - 7:35pm on 11/17/08
- Yes, that's what I'm doing. - Richard in Cincy - 3:14pm on 11/18/08
- I'm sending this recipe along with some fun cookie cutters I found on amazon: - AngAk - 2:15am on 11/19/08