Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Feb 14, 2006
Posted to Thread #33 at 8:29 pm on Sep 30, 2007
3 pounds beef round steak
½ cup All-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
6 bacon slices, cut in half to make 12-4 inch or so slices.
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 large onion, diced
3/4 cup Chardonnay
2 bay leaves
Cut steaks into strips measuring 3 to 4 inches wide. Toss steak strips with flour, salt and pepper. Pound meat until thin, about 1/8 inch. Season each steak strip with salt and pepper. Place a bacon slice onto the top of each steak strip, roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick.
In a large skillet heat oil over med-high. In small batches, brown rouladens thoroughly on all sides. As each roulade is browned, remove from frying pan and transfer to either a large dutch oven or a slow cooker. When all roulades are browned and removed add onion and garlic and cook until not quite translucent, add to rouladens. Add wine to drippings in pan and let simmer a couple of minutes, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cover with the wine mixture; add water to just cover the rouladens, a little less if using a slow cooker. Toss in a couple of bay leaves, cover and bake until tender, about 2 hours at 325 or 6 hours on low in a slow cooker. Remove from heat and let cool until you can remove the toothpicks. Can be made to this point and refrigerated overnight. I froze for a week.
Place the roulades, with the liquid in the oven or on the stove. Using low heat, gently reheat the rouladens. After heated, remove the rouladens from the liquid and place on a large platter. Make gravy by adding enough flour to thicken, this is dependent on the amount of liquid. (I used about 3 heaping tablespoons of flour slurried with same amount of cold water.) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and transfer into a large serving bowl and serve with rouladens.
Other messages in this thread:
- Bratwurst Stuffed Mushrooms [IMAGE] - desertjean - 8:16pm on 09/30/07
- Reuben Spread - desertjean - 8:17pm on 09/30/07
- Liverwurst Pate - desertjean - 8:18pm on 09/30/07
- Cucumber salad Recipe - desertjean - 8:18pm on 09/30/07
- Green-Bean Salad - desertjean - 8:19pm on 09/30/07
- Elanor's German Potato Salad [LINK] - desertjean - 8:20pm on 09/30/07
- Dark Beer-Marinated BBQ Chicken [IMAGE] - desertjean - 8:25pm on 09/30/07
- Rouladens [IMAGE] - desertjean - 8:29pm on 09/30/07
- I found when I pounded my meat, I went blind. (Too soon?) xoxox [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 11:49pm on 08/20/09
- Black Forest Cake [LINK] [IMAGE] - desertjean - 8:32pm on 09/30/07
- Rye Beer Bread [IMAGE] - desertjean - 8:48pm on 09/30/07