Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Coriander and Cumin Flatbread
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #41 at 5:37 pm on Jun 10, 2008
Coriander and Cumin Flatbread
Bon Appétit, October 2006
This recipe is from Suzanne Goin, chef and owner of Lucques and A.O.C. restaurants in Los Angeles. It's great with her Moroccan menu in the October 2006 issue of Bon Appétit, or with just about any Mediterranean or Middle Eastern meal.
Makes about 10 flatbreads.
Lucques and A.O.C.
1 3/4 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
3/4 cup lukewarm water (95°F to 100°F)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons (about) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
Whisk 1 3/4 cups flour and salt in medium bowl to blend. Combine 3/4 cup lukewarm water and sugar in bowl of heavy-duty mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 15 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to yeast mixture; beat until blended. Add flour mixture and beat until soft, very sticky dough forms.
Using rubber spatula, scrape dough out onto generously floured work surface and knead until dough is smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls as needed for soft but still slightly sticky dough, about 5 minutes. Gather dough together and place in oiled bowl; brush dough lightly with olive oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Combine cumin seeds and coriander seeds in small dry skillet. Stir over medium heat until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to mortar or spice mill and crush seeds coarsely.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Divide dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest on floured work surface 15 minutes. Using fingers, dimple each ball, then press and stretch each into 3 1/2- to 4-inch round. Place dough rounds on prepared baking sheets, spacing apart. Brush each round lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle cumin-coriander mixture and parsley over each; press lightly to adhere. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes.
Prepare barbecue (medium heat) or heat heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat. Using metal spatula, transfer flatbreads, plain side down, to grill or skillet (work in batches if using skillet) and cook until lightly browned in spots and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter.
Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Enclose in foil and store at room temperature. Rewarm in foil packet in 350°F oven until heated through, about 8 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 41. Tropical Pool Party - Joe - 4:57pm on 06/10/08 (16)
- REC: Coconut Shrimp with Tamarind Ginger Sauce [LINK] - Joe - 5:05pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Spicy Black Bean Cakes [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:07pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Queso-stuffed Jalapenos. Substitute queso fresco for the feta in this recipe. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:10pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Scallops Broiled with Prosciutto [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:12pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Warm Chicken, Mango and Avocado Salad [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:15pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Sylvia's jerk marinade. We used it to marinate beef kebabs overnight. YUM! [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:18pm on 06/10/08
- Sylvia's Ginger Green Beans are in the same post. [NT] - Joe - 5:23pm on 06/10/08
- Sausages: Italian, Portugese, and "Jamaican Mango." Steamed ahead and chilled, then grilled. [NT] - Joe - 5:26pm on 06/10/08
- Cilantro Coconut Rice [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:27pm on 06/10/08
- Coriander and Cumin Flatbread [LINK] - Joe - 5:37pm on 06/10/08
- Cucumber Salad: Thinly slice unpeeled English cucumbers (3-packs at Costco), red onion and red bell - Joe - 5:39pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Pineapple Upside-down Cake - Joe - 5:55pm on 06/10/08
- the difference in the recipe I found was 1/2 c milk, 1/2 c sugar and 2T oil. - AngAk - 9:57pm on 08/17/09
- REC: Ginger Almond Wafers [LINK] - Joe - 5:58pm on 06/10/08
- REC: White Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 6:00pm on 06/10/08
- REC: Lemon Bars. (Something like Key Lime Bars might be more apropo, but these were non-negotiable) [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 6:02pm on 06/10/08