Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti [pg 685]
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #1 at 6:39 pm on Sep 20, 2014
1 1/3 C (4 oz) dried cranberries
2 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 C (5 oz) salted pistachio (not red ones)
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tsp water (wash)
1. Soak cranberries in boiling water 10 min. Drain. Pat dry.
2. Preheat oven 325 F. Grease/flour cookie sheet
3. Whisk all dry ingredients. Add eggs/vanilla to middle and beat low speed just until mixed. Add cranberries and nuts. Mix low to blend.
4. Turn out on floured surface and knead a few turns. Split in half and shape 13" x 2" logs. Space 3" apart. Brush with egg wash.
Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
Slice 1/2" pieces using serrated knife and sawing motion.
Lay cut-side down and bake 10 minutes, flip all biscotti and bake 10 more minutes.
Move to rack to cool.
Keeps in airtight tin for 1 week.
Mar's Notes: Alrighty...this one wasn't nearly as traumatic as the feijouada. The only spot where I had to reign in baking instincts was the cookie sheet. I automatically pulled out a Silpat, then realized parchment would be better, started to walk to the pantry and stopped, mid-step. Literally. One foot was raised and stopped mid-air.
I walked BACKWARDS to the book sitting on the counter, read: "butter and flour pan", swore, got out the butter and greased that puppy up. Parchment has spoiled me for life.
The only other concession was this: I ACTUALLY MEASURED OUT A TEASPOON of VANILLA.
I haven't done that since I was ten.
I typically make one basic biscotti recipe and it contains butter. So going back to its origin and making a hard, dry cookie with only the fat from the eggs as tenderizer was a big step for me. I may not be the best person to evaluate this because I've had $20,000 worth of dental work and was actually afraid to bite down too hard with my front teeth. I moved it back to my molars, bit down and once I broke through the baked surface, it was fine. However, I did email my coworkers, explaining this type of cookie is meant to be dipped to soften it, but they were on their own if they wanted to dip it in wine. I also wrote: "Consider your teeth warned."
The recipe is complete after the second baking. I scored 45 cookies--the unbaked bar started out 2" but the baked bar ranged from 4" wide down to 2" wide. I think it depends on how dense you compact the dough & would pay more attention to that if I wanted a consistent look in the finished product.
I dipped some for the library, using dark confectionery coating. It was still too sweet for me...a good 65% tempered chocolate would work better with sweet cranberries and salty pistachios.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- Coffee Coffee Cake with Espresso Glaze - Orchid - 11:59pm on 09/03/14
- Wow, Orchid that is a beautiful cake. Lovely write-up too! It looks moist. - KarenNoCA - 12:00am on 09/04/14
- Looks can be deceiving..to me it was dry. John put it into Photo Bucket - Orchid - 12:01am on 09/04/14
- Another trick is to email the photo from whereever you're storing - MarilynFL - 2:43pm on 09/04/14
- Beautiful Cake! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 2:52pm on 09/04/14
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting p. 726 - Richard in Cincy - 1:04am on 09/05/14
- Chocolate Macaroons Pages 676-678 - Richard in Cincy - 1:09am on 09/05/14
- Transcendental Barbeque Sauces, Pages 898-899 - Richard in Cincy - 1:20am on 09/05/14
- Penne alla Vodka, Page 217 - Richard in Cincy - 1:25am on 09/05/14
- Stilton Tart with Cranberry Chutney, Pages 34-35 - Richard in Cincy - 1:34am on 09/05/14
- I have made this many times and everyone always loves it. I am with Richard, I use my own cranberry - Barbara in VA - 1:03pm on 09/08/14
- Macaroni and Cheese, Page 223 - Richard in Cincy - 1:38am on 09/05/14
- Seafood Paella, Pages 349-351 - Richard in Cincy - 1:42am on 09/05/14
- Cranberry Cognac Trifle, Pages 718-719 - Richard in Cincy - 1:48am on 09/05/14
- Brazilian-style Black Bean Stew [pg 269] - MarilynFL - 8:43pm on 09/07/14
- 8 oz serving of finished dish [LINK] [IMAGE] - MarilynFL - 8:45pm on 09/07/14
- Raspberry Jam Tart with Almond Crumble - Barbara in VA - 1:29pm on 09/15/14
- Raspberry Tart [NT] [LINK] - Barbara in VA - 1:30pm on 09/15/14
- picture [NT] [IMAGE] - AngAk1 - 9:23pm on 09/15/14
- Spice Sugar Cookies page 669 [IMAGE] - AngAk1 - 8:14pm on 09/18/14
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti [pg 685] - MarilynFL - 6:39pm on 09/20/14
- Baked Biscotti [NT] [LINK] [IMAGE] - MarilynFL - 6:40pm on 09/20/14
- Pan-Browned Brussels Sprouts, p. 526 - Richard in Cincy - 9:10pm on 09/21/14
- Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic, p. 530 - Richard in Cincy - 9:13pm on 09/21/14
- Pommes Dauphine, p 569 - Richard in Cincy - 9:25pm on 09/21/14
- Baked Figs with Grand Marnier and Whipped Cream - cyalexa2 - 1:57am on 09/28/14
- Pistachio Turkey Ballottine with Madeira Sauce - Richard in Cincy - 12:37am on 09/29/14