Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #52 at 9:52 pm on Mar 20, 2006
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE
Lemon poppy seed cake is always a favourite. You can make 1 big cake or 2 smaller ones with this recipe. This cake keeps well and can be decorated. with a simple dusting of icing sugar, or a simple lemon icing and little extra lemon zest.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup (packed)(50 ml) finely grated lemon zest (2 large lemons)
3/4 cup 1125 ml} poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Generously grease and flour the bottom and sides of two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or one 10-cup bundt pan.
3. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, and set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides as necessary. Toss the zest and poppy seeds with a couple of tablespoons of the flour. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in the zest, seeds and vanilla. Slowly beat in the flour, alternating with buttermilk in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Spoon the batter into the pan/s, smoothing the top. Bake the smaller cakes for 50-55 minutes and the larger for 65-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let the cake stand for 10 minutes in pan on a wire cooling rack and let it cool completely.
7. To ice cake, place the icing sugare in a small bowl and add enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth glaze and then pour over the cake. Garnish with extra grated lemon zest if desired.
1 cup (250 ml) icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp (25 ml) lemon juice (1 lemon)
Grated lemon zest. optional
Other messages in this thread:
- 52. Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake - Marg CDN - 9:52pm on 03/20/06 (0)